Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:56 AM   #1

At a time when Nikon can seem to do nothing right, It's nice to here some positive things being said... got this link from Rob Galbraith's site...

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=14717

Doubt I'llbe able to afford one but hey I can dream :-)
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:08 AM   #2

Rick says the D2x images will blow us away (D2x ISO 800 = D2h ISO 200-400), but has no samples to back his statement. Then Michael at Luminous Landscape posts a few samples (now long pulled out from his website) that were horrendous! My D100 does better than what I saw. I truly hope for the best, but prepared to skip the D2x and get a few other toys instead
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:09 AM   #3

Fair point marokero, I guess you don't know who is on Nikon's payroll, and without images this is just hearsay... what was wrong with the images on luminous landscape ? noisey ?

To be honest I think cramming 12mp onto an APS C sized sensor might be a recipe for noise, even with CMOS instead of CCD.

Anyway, I do hope its as good as the link suggests and the option of having a 2 x focal multiplier for sports with 8fps really does appeal if image quality is up to scratch.

jim
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:15 AM   #4

Read Michael's post now. There were a lot of differences between the photos. Non VR lens vs. IS lens. 1/2 to 1 stop exposure difference and some other things. That is why he pulled the photos. Let's give it a few days and see an updated comparision before we write the D2X off.
budmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 8:49 PM   #5

I guess I'm very anxious, and the images posted at Luminous Landscape were underexposed and very noisy. I've read comments from Canon shooters and they too can not believe those could possibly be Nikon's best efforts. If the D2x turns out really great I'll get back in line to get it, if not... a used D1x and a new lens will have to suffice.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:41 AM   #6

http://www.utah-wedding-photography.com/D2x/index.html

Some photos there shot at PMA, I got the link from a thread on DP Review forums...

I think the pics look poor to be honest, but having said that the lighting looks awful and there all shot wide open which might give an explanation for how soft they are ? Probably cant take much from shots like this but figured it was interesting to have a look anyway.

Jim
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:07 AM   #7

Jim

Thanks for the link. Those pictures are very poor. I still think there is more to this camera than those pictures. Surely Nikon would not bring such a poor product to the market place. They may be slow, but they are not stupid.

Bud
budmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Administrator

The lighting at the Orange County Convention Center is horrible to begin with and you can just imagine that those pictures were the result of someone walking up to the Nikon booth, putting their CF card in a camera they've never used before, firing off some random shots while being bumped by a hundred other people trying to see the new cameras. Not exactly ideal for test photos :roll:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:41 PM   #9

Aware that I'm labouring this point a bit now but what the hell !

http://www.juergenspecht.com/samples/d2x/

(LinkFrom Fred Mirandas boards)
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:07 PM   #10

Review at http://www.naturfotograf.com/D2X_rev00.html

Woohoo, those look great, and I can't wait to get mine as soon as it becomes available. :G