Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:49 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm new to the D70, and trying to get the hang of knowing what kind of exposure to use in which situations... Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the image below?

I wanted to get the reflection of the sun on the ripples and ice on the water on the left, while finding a way to keep the ducks properly exposed. I took several shots - the others with more negative exposure compensation, but they all looked more or less like this one. Should I have gone in the other direction?

Thanks,
J

Attached Images

booyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:18 PM   #2

It is a difficult shot. If you meter the ducks properly you will blow all your highlights.

There is a post-processing technique that can help a little called contrast masking. You basically make a B&W negative of the image and merge it. I did it twice and came up with this. Not totally satisfying but you can see more of the ducks:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:05 PM   #3

You need a fill flash for this one. I just came back from thhe islands and WOW - talk about a headache with exposure . . . . .but I'm not complaining.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:22 PM   #4

If I'm 10-15 feet from the ducks and facing sunlight as in the picture, is built-in fill flash going to get the job done? Do I need to put down another 200 bucks for an SB-600 in order to handle exposures like this?

Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:42 PM   #5

I'd vote first fill flash also to get what you are looking for or even try rear curtin flash mode
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:13 PM   #6

Fork out the $200 - the SB600 is an amazing flash unit. I used mine for fill in on the islands and it was a no brainer - thinks for itself.

A little known fact. When you shoot a photo with the flahs it actually flashs twice. The 1st flash is SO close to the 2nd you never see it - YET - the 1st flash hits the subject, bounces back THROUGH the mirror into the bottom of the camera - then it decides HOW MUCH power for the MAIN flash to have the subject exposed properly. It takes into account focal lengh AND aperture and sends the into to the unit and BAM - 2nd flash occurs.

AWESOME!
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:59 AM   #7

Having just spent $900 plus accessories on the camera, I'm going to have to hold off on another $200 for the flash, which I'm also wary of having to carry around.

I guess I will have to settle for contrast masking in Photoshop, which looks damn good, Slipe!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:04 PM   #8

One more question... for an amateur photographer, is there anything that a lower-end flash like a Sigma won't give me that I'll actually need, that the SB-600 would?