Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:39 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

i just bought my new D70, and i really have many questions. Sorry for these questions but i really read the manual and i found it not clear to me at least for the following things:

1. When i put S or M mode i can reach to 1/8000 shutter speed but without flash, and when i shoot the picture is completely BLACK..WHY??? and how can i use this fast shutter speed??

i can use it up to 1/500 with flash and that's it.

2. in sport mode, the shutter speed must be high right, but when i try to catch shooted ball, the ball looks like comet "not clear", this mode must freeze the motion.

3. shooting in RAW. i put the quality of the pictures RAW, and when i download them to my PC, i cannot open them by any photo program, only PictureProject can open it. How can i edit them?? i really want to use the raw quality, now i'm using Large Fine quality.

4. when i shoot with the AUTO mode using the flash, the image quality is great, but it is little dark, so i use PictureProject to Enhance the photo by clicking on AUTO ENHANCE. Is that normal????

from my little experience with the camera, it great one and the best i've ever used.

Thanks for your time...
a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:54 AM   #2

First. Based on your #1 and #2 questions, I think it would be helpful if you bought a book on photography or took a beginners photography course. Although we may beable to help youanswer specific questions, a broader knowledge of basiccamera functions would go a long way to explaining these mysteries.

1. At a high shutter speed there is less light getting to the image sensor, so the image can be black under infavorable lighting conditions. Also, the flash sync only works up to 1/500. This is better than most cameras in this category.

2. If the intended effect is to freeze the ball, then depending on the sport, a higher shutter speed than automatically selected by the sport mode might be needed.

3. Not every software program supports Nikon RAW. There are many options here for decent software. You might want to look into Nikon Capture and Photoshop for starters. Drop over to the forums atdpreview. Please use the search feature to search for your answer, as it is already answered there.

4. This can be corrected for onboard the camera or in post processing.

a8j2 wrote: [/b]

Quote:
Hi everyone,

i just bought my new D70, and i really have many questions. Sorry for these questions but i really read the manual and i found it not clear to me at least for the following things:

1. When i put S or M mode i can reach to 1/8000 shutter speed but without flash, and when i shoot the picture is completely BLACK..WHY??? and how can i use this fast shutter speed??

i can use it up to 1/500 with flash and that's it
Quote:

2. in sport mode, the shutter speed must be high right, but when i try to catch shooted ball, the ball looks like comet "not clear", this mode must freeze the motion.

3. shooting in RAW. i put the quality of the pictures RAW, and when i download them to my PC, i cannot open them by any photo program, only PictureProject can open it. How can i edit them?? i really want to use the raw quality, now i'm using Large Fine quality.

4. when i shoot with the AUTO mode using the flash, the image quality is great, but it is little dark, so i use PictureProject to Enhance the photo by clicking on AUTO ENHANCE. Is that normal????

from my little experience with the camera, it great one and the best i've ever used.

Thanks for your time...
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:44 PM   #3

thank you very much for you answers,

dear dahacker, iread (not practice)that at higher shutter speed, less light enters ccd. it will be helpful if you give me some usefulbooks name on mastering photography.

thank you again, i found your reply is very helpful.

a8j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:18 PM   #4

A couple of things:

Check out the book A Short Cours in Nikon D70 Photography by Shortcourses. You can find it at http://www.shortcourses.com
They also have some very helpful FREE online courses you can go through.

If you can afford it - get Photoshop CS. It ahs a Camera Raw plug-in that does wonders with .NEF files. You can change just about everything about the photo - white balance, exposure, sharpness, tint, hue, and much more. If you try it, make sure you remove the Nikon NEF plug-in from the plugin/file formats folder. I spent a week or so trying to figure out how to get Camera Raw t owork and it was the default Nikon plug-in that was screwing me up.

Good luck and happy shooting with the D70 :|
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:46 AM   #5

In answer to your questions.

1) Try using the P mode and use the thumb wheel to up the speed to the highest speed you canb get without the aperture display showing Lo. This is then the highest shutter speed you can use with your lens with the light that is available. On a bright sunnyday you'd be able to use a higher speed than on a dull overcast day, although I guess you don't get many of them in Jeddah.

2) I wouldn't use any of the auto programs you hand to much control over to the software. Use PSAM modes for the best results.

The best answer to 3 & 4 is better software. Nikon View is a free download from Nikon and much better than Picture Project, not as good as Photoshop CS though.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote