Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:50 PM   #1

A recently purchase (used) D1x makes a clunking sound when the battery is installed or the power is turned on. It sounds like a faint but noticeable relay or electromagnetic part moving. The camera functions normally otherwise but this sound has me worried.

I've swapped batteries and reset all settings, etc. I've never heard a D1 or D1x make such a sound.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark
mark hovsepian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:30 AM   #2

I believe it's normal for a brief 'clunk' sound when a D1 is turned on, at least that's what I recall reading. My D1H has made the sound since I bought it new in December, and I've had no problems with the camera.:-)
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:38 AM   #3

Well, it must be some strange artifact of the 1.1 firmware because other than that firmware upgrade this camera is identical to my other d1x, the quiet one...

Thanks for the reply. Any idea where you've read about this?
Mark
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:42 AM   #4
DBB

Hi Mark

When I upgraded my firmware, they told me that whenever I turned on the camera it would do a circuit check and shutter check. The clunking sound, sounds more like you just took a picture.

After a while my camera STOPPED doing this. For a while I was very concerned but everything seems to work . but I want my clunking sound BACK for peace of mind...:lol:

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:29 PM   #5

The plot thickens...

I was told that the firmware upgrade does (among other things) some strange stuff in regards to the batteries.
Quote: "You can not use previously used batteries in the D1x if it has the firmware upgrade 1.1 because of the way the firmware checks the battery status. Used batteries may perform fine in other cameras but not in an upgraded D1x."
My first reaction to that statement was, "Bullxxxx" but lately nothing surprises me from Nikon...

No mention from Tech Support of the upgrade causing strange sounds to emit from the camera tho... I think I'm going to send the camera in to be checked. I wonder if they'll drop me back to the old firmware if I ask?

The sound seems to come from the grip area, internally. There is no noticeable movement of the mirror or other moving parts in that area...

BTW, the clunk is only heard when a battery is the power source, not while using the EH4 AC adapter.:?:
I have used new, freshly charged batteries as well as used, freshly charged batteries for all tests.

I'd like to hear from other D1x users who have the 1.01 and 1.10 firmware versions. If you're using 1.10, was installed from new or from an upgrade? Did the upgrade come with instructions or warnings about the battery performance?

Thanks all,
Mark
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:56 PM   #6

I have a D1x that I bought when they first came out. I have never sent it into nikon. I doesn't clunk when you turn it on.
I just bought a D1x that was purchased in 2003 then they upgraded the firmware, it has the clunking sound you tell of. I would like to know what you find out about it Mark. and the battery issue. I can't imagine haveing to keep the batteries seperate! I will also investigate and post what I find out.
cjrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:27 PM   #7

I had an opportunity to borrow a brand new D1x this past weekend. It had been purchased new in October and unused till now. It had the buffer upgrade and as you may know the buffer upgrade includes the 1.10 firmware. This D1x made "the sounds."

Basically either Nikon Techs are not informed of this situation or Nikon is once again in denial about this latest quirk in the D1 series. After dozens of emails and calls to Tech Support I'm inclined to believe both are true.

And here's the deal with the batteries. If your D1x has version 1.10 of the firmware, you're not going to get the same performace from your batteries that you would with the 1.01 firmware. It's not that you can't use old batteries with the upgrade, it's just that the new batteries will perform better. I think that sucks but they did solve the issue of partially written image files. Yeah, just report that the battery is exhausted and prevent the shutter from being released, GREAT IDEA NIKON !! NOT!!

These "dead" batteries will not work in a D1x with the 1.10 firmware but will report "full" and perform flawlessly in another D1x or D1.

The first person that creates a LithIon battery for the D1x gets a big hug from me, lemme tell ya. Oh I know what you're thinking, just buy the D2x. That was Nikon's suggestion also. Sorry but I'll never buy another mechanical shuttered POS from Nikon again. Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:00 AM   #8
DBB

Hi Mark
I'm not sure about what you are saying. I have original D1x batteries, got the upgrade and I get BETTER results from them. Some people report getting WORSE results, but in either event, the batteries are useable. I remember when this issue came up and it was thourouly discussed, thus some get better, some got worse...

Nikon, and all other manufacturer's use a cheap meter that registers full and suddenly goes to half which is more or less empty. This is true of all camera's. The D2x supposedly uses a much more expensive meter. We shall see.

As for the noise. I was told in advance that this would occur. I suspect that this sound is NOT regarded as noise by the Nikon techs. After all, it's only the mirror doing a circuit check.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:48 PM   #9

Dave,
Sorry to have wasted the bandwidth discussing something that had been discussed ages ago. I missed it. I only wish that one of the several Nikon people that I had asked about this had known ANYTHING about it. It could have saved me a ton of anguish.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean that the mirror is doing a circuit check? The mirror never moves. And why is this "check" not performed when using the AC power supply? Actually, it may in fact do the "check" it just does it quietly?!?

BTW, more than one tech at Nikon told me to send the camera in for service when I described the exact (clunk) situation to them that was discussed here.

I don't think I said that the batteries were not usable. My experience was that a battery that would not fire the shutter of a (firmware) updated D1x, when inserted into another D1x or a D1 reads full power and activates the shutter flawlessly. Nikon themselves told me not to use used batteries in a D1x if it has the firmware update. As this is my fourth Nikon DSLR in five years I've got quite a large collection of EN-4 batteries that are NFG. I really don't want to add too many more to that pile...
Thank you all for your input,
Mark