Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:58 AM   #1

Hi,

I've just ordered a D70, should be here next week, and I wanted to ask some questions.

I use the latest version ofiPhoto (as included in iLife'05)to catalogue the images I take as part of my job as a film journalist, enabling me to easily grab a shot of someone if I'm writing a piece about them. I want to catalogue my D70 images with iPhoto and I'd rather use the NEF/RAW format to take my shots. I understand that iPhoto 5 includes RAW editing capability, but will it read NEF files? I use photoshop to edit images before live anyway, but I'd like to keep everything stored as RAW in my photo library. Can this be done? I'd rather not use the software on the D70 disc, I'm happy with iPhoto and I would prefer to just put the CF card into a reader and download them that way rather than through the camera.

Any info on this?
ex-machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2

Everything you need to know is right here

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300876

I don't have '05 yet but I will be using it too.

Good Luck,

Rich
McGlocktapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3

But is .nef a different format to .raw? I must admit I don't really understand it, but from what I'm vaguely aware of, .nef is a type of raw employed only by Nikon. Shed some light?!

Edit: According to Apple: iPhoto supports digital cameras from a wide variety of manufacturers, including Canon, Fujifilm, Hewlett Packard, Kodak, Konica Minolta, Nikon, Olympus and Sony. Just plug them in over USB or FireWire. No need to install drivers.

Since the D70 is on the list, I guess I just wasn't looking closely enough! Nice stuff.
ex-machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:34 PM   #4
kex

ex-machina wrote:
Quote:
But is .nef a different format to .raw? I must admit I don't really understand it, but from what I'm vaguely aware of, .nef is a type of raw employed only by Nikon. Shed some light?!
You're right, nef is the raw format employed by nikon.

RAW on the other hand is used by canon for example.
It's just a thing of filename extensions. Basically raw and nef are the same type of file.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:52 PM   #5

I used iphoto to download some of my files. I didn't really like it though. It does some weird thing where it makes jpegs out of them and stores the originals in a separate folder. Now I use Picture Project. I know PP isn't the greatest program, but I have found that PP with NCE is a great combination. I use photoshop to make fine adjustments after adjusting in NCE and to save for web. I have found that I can get better quality from NCE, but that may be that I am not very experienced with PS.
kalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:56 AM   #6

I USED CIPRO - PHASE ONE PROGRAM IT ISTNT SO SLOW LIKE NIKON CAPTURE, BUT NIKON CAPTURE IST BETTER. MY TRIAL TIME IST OUT AND I NEED SERIAL NUMBER FOR NIKON CAPTURE 4.2 . IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME BECAUSE IN MY COUNTRY I COULDNT GET SOFTWARE - NIKON CAPTURE 4.2 FOR WIN XP !

THANKS FOR HELP

HERE IS PICTURE OF WERTHER SEE IN AUSTRIA - EVROPE, BUT ORIGINAL SIZE FROM NEF TO TIFF IST 593 MB ! JPEG - 60 MB.
Attached Images

petmaj is offline   Reply With Quote