Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:57 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm a freelance photo-journalist who's mannaged not to go digital yet. (except for a G5)
Earlier this month I've been lucky to get 3 assignments at once that will keep me bussy for the next 10 months. For all 3 jobs I need to deliver digital files ( 25MB )....in total over 300 pictures. It only took a little maths to calculate that the costs of buying film, developing, scanning,..would easely set me back the price of a Proffesional Dslr body. The question now is which one should I buy.

I've been using a Leica M and Nikon F3 - Fm2's (with old manual lenses). This means that I'll probably also have to buy new lenses but it still gives me the choice to go Nikon or Canon.
I know both brands are equally good and that the difference between lens quality is almost nihil. After some initial research I was ready to buy the Eos 1dmarkII. I was told that the Ds markII was a bit slow and aimed at studio photography.
Nikon's D2h was not in the picture since the resolution is to low.
But,....now there is the D2x which seems to be excacly what I was looking for. There are only a few cons: When will it be available (I live in Belgium) and I need to start with these jobs by the end of March, is swapping between 12MP and 6MP with a push on the button working as good as it sounds? Last is that I usually take wide-angle pictures and I would defenitly buy a 17-35 lens which on it's widest is 'only' 25mm with Nikon and 23 mm with Canon.

Thank you,

bram
Mr.Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:03 PM   #2

Check out the D2x review here: www.naturfotograf.com

Bjorn Rorslett is a definite Nikon person, but I think the review is truthful. Mainly read it for the Nikon review. Also he has a lot of lens info regarding various Nikon lenses on digital bodies. Hard to say what the demand is Belgium. Good Luck.
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:24 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply.

I had a look at the report, very extensive indeed. It looks all good for the D2x. Me too I felt the report was truthful but then again, it's still only one review by one (Nikon)man.

With the Eos I'm sure I'm buying a tried and tested machine and I can go and get it tomorrow for 1000 less. Up to now buying the D2x still feels a little bit like a gamble.....
Mr.Fixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:14 PM   #4

Mr.Fixed wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

I had a look at the report, very extensive indeed. It looks all good for the D2x. Me too I felt the report was truthful but then again, it's still only one review by one (Nikon)man.

With the Eos I'm sure I'm buying a tried and tested machine and I can go and get it tomorrow for ? 1000 less. Up to now buying the D2x still feels a little bit like a gamble.....
There are a number of reviews...all stunning. Check out DPreview.com for more than you'd ever want to know about the D2X. It sounds as if you've allready made up your mind. Good luck with whatever camera you choose.

Rich
Rich Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:18 PM   #5

Whatever works and makes you more confortable with. Good luck!
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote