Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:58 AM   #1
TC3

Had decided on the XT but in my heart have always wanted a Nikon. For my hands i find the D70 to large so with some luck Nikon will come out with something a bit smaller in the next 6 months. I can wait

Anyhow look at this..my mistake if the link has already been posted

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:17 AM   #2

I posted this weeks ago - suggest you read it to get my idea of things.

Buying a replacement camera is not a big thing if it is the body only. We Nikon people have a fortune invested in lenses and ancillaries,but replacing every thing to start again is prohibitive. Canon are leading people into the SLR world through the Rebel at a very competitive price, and now there is the new XT before moving on to the 20D and upwards. Once they are on the canon ladder, they will be stuck for ever unless they are rich, and the spin off in lens and ancillary sales will be enormous. Just consider if you are used to a point and press camera but want to progress; you look at the various ranges, you compare facilities and pixels ad nauseam even though quite frankly most of it is superfluous to needs. I see buffer size talked about constantly but who shoots regularly 8 frames per second for example? Same with memory cards and their writing speed.

But I digress. The whole point is that Canon have now trumped Nikon yet again. The D70 was as good as the D100 in many areas, whereas the Rebel was a stripped out version of the 10D. Now The XT is a slight downmarket edition of the all new 20D, with 8mp, vertical grip not only available but included, and all at the same price as the D70. The Rebel remains at a very attractive price to tempt people into the DSLR world, from whence they can progress within the Canon range. The XT compares more than favorably with the D70 on all counts it seems, and $ for $ it looks the one to buy. Go on upwards and in the rarified world of the sports pro equipment the Canon range is newer and better specified.

For professionals this isn't too much in point. A professional can take a picture with no matter what equipment because it is his profession, but the majority of camera buyers are amateurs, who start at the low end and trade up. That is why Nikon are going to lose this race unless they come up with something and pretty darn quick. Start Nikon stay Nikon, and vice versa, but if Nikon don't have an attractive range at the bottom end then more and more sales are going to be lost to Canon in a vicious and ever steepening downward spiral.

Yes, the D100 takes good pictures, but so still does my F2. New buyers though want all the bells and whistles. I don't see Ford selling many Model T's these days.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 12:02 PM   #3
TC3

I agree with what you say. I have decided to buy a camera when i visit the USA later in the year. Like i said i have always wanted to own a Nikon SLR and am hoping that they do come out with something this year that will compete with the XT and be of a similar size. If that does not happen i will prob end up with an XT, start to buy lenses for it and go the Canon way in the future due to the several lenses i will own.

Nikon does well in sales with the D70 i am sure but it is going to need to come up with a new model that will attract the attention away from the XT. I have had film slrs and know what i want from a digi slr and my money will go to the model that suits me best...which happens to be an XT right now.

So i will wait until my trip to Disneyworld and that gives Nikon some time to seduce me and the many other peeps in my position.

Tony
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:37 AM   #4

Off topic:

I'm a US Citizen and have several UK friends at work. The last place in the USA I would recommend visiting would be Disneyland or Disneyworld. Regardless of how many kids you have.
dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:05 AM   #5

why? we were thinking of taking our 3 yr son to disneyland next year (when he is 4).
navin advani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:56 AM   #6
TC3

dahacker wrote:
Quote:
Off topic:

I'm a US Citizen and have several UK friends at work. The last place in the USA I would recommend visiting would be Disneyland or Disneyworld. Regardless of how many kids you have.

My wife is American. Her mother is paying for 20 members of the familly to stay in Disneyworld Florida for 5 days. Apparently her mother loves to go every year which is a lil extreme i guess. Anyway there are some kids in the group of course and i am going along for a free holiday otherwise i wouldhave no interest to go there at all.

Would be nice to have a new slr for that trip though

Tony
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:48 PM   #7

navin advani wrote:
Quote:
why? we were thinking of taking our 3 yr son to disneyland next year (when he is 4).

When I was a kid, my parents took me all over the USA, and the thing I remember and care about the least is Disneyworld. Not that I didn't have a good time, but I had much better times elsewhere. I would be surprised if any well traveled person would ever recommend Disneyworld.

So if you are only visiting the USA, go somewhere your kids will actually learn something, remember forever, and see real beauty.

Here is a start for ideas: http://www.nps.gov/

Besides, you'll certainly find better use for a D70 elsewhere.

dahacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:50 PM   #8
TC3

I travel a lot and can enjoy myself where ever i go. I enjoy architecture and culture and also enjoy having fun in many different forms. It is a free trip and i will have fun and get some great pics of the kids havingthe time of their lives.

Tony

Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:01 AM   #9

So here is a good question. I work for a retail store. Because of this, I have a huge decision on my plate. Nikon has an accommodation program for employees of resellers, so I can get the D70 kit with the 18-70mm DX lens for $850.00. Canon doesn't have an accommodation program, but the employee price of the Rebel XT is $904.49 with the 18-55mm lens and kit. I am only 17 years old, so I really don't have a lot of money. Is the Rebel XT worth the extra money or should I be more concerned about the lens vs. the megapixels. I know that the included Nikon lens is far superior to the Canon's lens, but I can't get away from the small form factor and simplicity of the Rebel XT. Ahh! Please help me...

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:19 AM   #10
KSV

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
...should I be more concerned about the lens vs. the megapixels....
Not a question IMHO lens is everything.

to TC3. If your heart lies on Nikon what do you hesitate? Both camera good enough to produce an excellent result. You pay a bit extra for D70, but get arguably better lens upfront; 350D has 2 extra MP, but D70 has enormously fast x-sync and so on. IMHO having something what your heart is lying on is most importantfactor.

KSV is offline   Reply With Quote