Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:42 PM   #1

I'm saving to buy a D70, untill I have enough, all I can do is read online forums and daydream. I've read a lot of lense questions and posts, and It seems the advise most often given is to have three or four lenses that will cover a variety of situations.

Many here agree that the Nikon18-70mm kit lense that's provided as a $300 option with purchase of the camera is a "good lense for the money" and covers the focal range most often used. WhatI keep thinking is, if this is the focal range many of us will use most, then why wouldn't you want your lense in this focal range to the "Best" lense that you own? So I guess my question is, what would be a clearly superiorchoice for a general purpose lenscovering this focal range?
Attached Images

JDBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:28 PM   #2
wll

JD,

That is a very good question.

I'm waiting for a "new" Pentax or Nikon to come out, but the more I look the more I'm leaning toward Nikon.

Their 24-120 VR could very well be my walk around lens and the 12-24Dx for my wide stuff. The 60 Macro will fit my bill for close stuff and maybe, down the road a 70-200 2.8 VR.

But there is only so much money to go around and for my purposes the 24-120 VR is the best choice for my main lens.

Bill
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:50 PM   #3

It's really a good question, JDBraddy and you'll probably get many different answers - it's an individual preferance. I have the 70-200 VR, which I really like more every time I use it, and I also have a 24-85 with a macro setting. I like this one also and I never go anywhere without both.

Good luck in deciding, JD

PBee

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:39 AM   #4

JDBraddy wrote:
Quote:
why wouldn't you want your lense in this focal range to the "Best" lense that you own? So I guess my question is, what would be a clearly superiorchoice for a general purpose lenscovering this focal range?

The 17-55 f2.8 AFS .... but thats about £900 !

The thing with the kit lens is, despite its plastic construction it is not just "a good lens for the money" its the best lens you can get without spending significantly more money - in my opinion...

The 24-120 wll mentions is also a good lens, but 36mm equiv. just isn't wide enough for me personally...

I think sigma do a 18-50mm f2.8 ex dg which is one of there top lenses, but I have not heard much about that lens.

If you can find something better than the kit lens, then go for it, but be prepared to spend quite alot more $$ :roll:

Enjoywhatever you end up with :-)

Jim
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:23 AM   #5

I Posted this only the other day under Nikon Lenses, where this should properly be discussed.

The kit lens would be a good starting point, since all reviews are favourable and it is excellent value for money, although a bit light and "plasticky". However, better glass will get you better pictures, and if money is limited (who's isn't?) then you might like to look at the body only and the Sigma 18/50 F2.8 lens, and then further up the Sigma 70/200 F2.8 lens. On the other hand, if pockets are deep and full, then the Nikon 17/55 and the Nikon 70/200 VRIFED would look good in anybody's Xmas stocking!

Whatever, go for an F2.8 lens if you can afford it. It wasn't out when I bought the kit lens, but if it was I would have had the Sigma 18/50 instead at approximately the same cost. But it wasn't and so I went for the 17/55 F2.8 as well in the end. Ah well.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote