Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:42 PM   #1

What to purchase? Pros & cons of the two.

Looking for ability to print out bigger quality prints. Good optical zoom, and I guess 6 or 8 megapixels should not be my concern.

I will be shooting mostly nature shots, golf courses, ocean, beach and of course family pixs as well. What would be a could added lense to purchase as well? thanks for your help in this matter. The more I read, the crazier it is to figure out what will suit my nees. :roll:
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:08 PM   #2

These are two very different beasts. The 8800 will (according to the reviews) give very good quality pictures and is reasonably priced for the features it boasts. The D70 will beat it in low light situations where it's larger sensor will give less noise. The D70 will also win out in speed of response for capturing grab shots or fast moving action. As a DSLR the D70 has interchangeable lens that allow anything from 180 degree fish eye to extreme telephoto. The downside of the D70 is cost and weight. A single DSLR lens can cost around the same as the 8800. Also you won't get movies or a live action LCD on any DSLR.

I own a D70 so it's obvious where my bias lies, however if you don't want the costor bulk of a DSLR I'm sure the 8800 is a very competent performer.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3

I was in a similar situation, thinking of which of these two to buy and I'd choose the D70.

For the $300 difference in price (in Canada), the D70 is well worth it and I don't even own the D70!

the 8800, from what I've learned and heard is slow to focus and write to the CF card, has problems with low light...For a little more, you'll get a true dSLR in the D70 that is an exceptionally well-rated and respected camera.

Spend the extra bucks!!! D70! D70!
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 5:17 PM   #4

I took my 8800 back within a week and got the D70 and already i can see that it is something i will never regret doing.

It's an amazing peice of kit and i have done little with it so far so i expect to be posting more on the matter in time. The 8800 i feel sure had a fault as i got next to no good shots out of 600 or so, and i am not new to digital cameras. Even so,,,,,, With the feel, the ergonomics and the speed of the D70 for starters it was worth the change.
ttyke32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:43 AM   #5

Quote:
I took my 8800 back within a week and got the D70 and already i can see that it is something i will never regret doing.
I did the exact same thing, and even though the learning curve has been steep for me I believe I made a good choice.

Good luck!
Deeborah L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:42 PM   #6

Well her's a shot from my first concerted effort with my D70, I spent a week with all the forums and the book shooting out of an open window. I got a bit of a handle on it. but there's a long way to go yet.

This is taken using the Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO Macro Super I got off EBay for £125

So far so good.
Attached Images

ttyke32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:45 AM   #7

So far the people posting on this topic are D70 owners. As an 8800 owner, let me provide some balance.

During my lifetime, I've owned three different film SLRs, so I know something about them. Since going digital, I switched to the Coolpix line owning the 990, 5700, and now the 8800. I am very happy with my choice!

The effective range of 35 to 350 mm in the 8800 covers 95% of my photography needs in a package that weighs roughly the same as just the body of the D70! An equivalent lens on the D70 would be a large, heavy combination. For some landscapes it would be nice to have a wider angle, so I may buy the 0.8 multiplier lens converter.

With an interchangable lens on the D70 you have to worry about getting dust on the sensor. The 8800 sensor is sealed up where dust can't get at it.

It really comes down to your photography needs and your own style as to which camera is best for you. If I had to lug around a whole camera system, I would be less likely to carry a camera and would take many fewer pictures.

However, if you are doings lots of sports/action shots then the speed of the D70 is essential to your success. If you need the high sensitivity ISO's, then a dSLR is necessary. I can live with the 8800's limitation of ISO 400.

The lens on the 8800 is terrific, as most Nikon lenses are. With 8 megapixels my 16x20 enlargements look great. The 8800 is the right camera for me. But it may be the wrong camera for you and your needs.

Gordon
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:17 PM   #8

Just bought my 8800 on Sunday. Takes a while to understand it, but so far, not to bad. Practice makes better pictures. I Leave on vacation next week. I hope I can this well enough to bring home some great shots. I will let you know.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote