Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1

Hope its true
http://www.engadget.com/entry/3622842317441586
D200 might be cool. . .
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:31 AM   #2
DBB

Since it was posted 8/2004, before the announcement of the D2x, don't hold your breath...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:46 PM   #3

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Since it was posted 8/2004, before the announcement of the D2x, don't hold your breath...

Dave
Lol, I didn't see that at first:lol:
but even so. . .With both the Canon 20D and now XT. . .Nikon has gotta do something pretty soon IMHO:-)
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:52 PM   #4

In my opinion, Nikon is a bit hamstrung by their lack of a CCD development group. They are enslaved to Sony and others for their CCD's, and while they can put pressure on Sony, Sony is going to have their own interests at heart before Nikon's.

That said, it should be noted that Canon has their own CCD development, and they make their own. Their long experience in other digital fields helps them, and they do have a clear technical lead, albeit a small one.

Does anyone think that the D2X and the Canon 1DS Mark II coming into the market at roughly the same time is any small coincidence? Both are nice cameras, obviously, but that one thing sticks out in Canon's favor: SIXTEEN megapixels.

Now, MP might be a bit like processor speed in computers, meaning that it is not always the whole story, but 16 MP is a shot across the bow of Nikon. They need to come up with new cameras, and get the D2X technology down into the D100 follow on. Nikon depserately needs a D3X that has at least 16MP, and they need it pretty soon now. Then, the D2X can be sold as a mid-market camera like the D100.

Further, it makes absolutely ZERO sense for people to downgrade from a D100 to a D70 in order to get better performance and features. That says that the D100 is long in tooth and that the Nikon mid-market camera is rapidly going out of date.

I would say that it is only a small matter of $10,000 or more in Nikon glass that is keeping an outright rush over to Canon. It's just hard to say that Nikon makes anything in the digital realm that is so much better than Canon's that a Canon guy would switch over. Usually, it is the other way around.

And before you lambast me, I am a D70 and D100 owner (plus F4 and N80), and I have a lot of loyalty to Nikon. However, every day that goes by with silence from them is another day for me to think about taking the $$$ hit and getting better gear.

Nikon had better lead, unless they want to follow. And it may already be too late.

ausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:19 PM   #5

Just a few thoughts from me. I cannot understand Nikon, the newly fielded film camera, the Nikon F6 is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse is long gone. Its the film SLR we would have died for 20 years ago. So why have they bought it out in 2005.

If they (Nikon) use thier heads they could actualy get the drop on Canon with this camera. As an enginier I believe that the F6 with virtualy no significant modification to either soft or hardware could become the perfect digital system camera body, Nikon simply has to produce a Digital Back for the thing. The back need not even be Full Frame it could be an 18 Meg Pixel 1:1,3 to start of with, then say in 2 years or so they could bring outthe 36x24 sensor everyone would stand in line for. The thing is that the camerabody serve throuout the life span of 2 to 3 sensor generations before becoming obsolete.

If Nikon don't do this then I am afraid that, as the F6 is realy very very beautiful, that Nikon may just be doing something thatsmacks veryheavilyof Japanese perfectionism, that of going out in style.
martin smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:22 PM   #6

As far as I know Nikon do have thier own sensor developement crew, they have developed a thing caled the LABCAST sensor. I don't know if this sensor has actualy ben put into a camera yet, if so it can only be the D2X.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:06 PM   #7

A local dealer told me that Nikon is locked into a contract with Sony for the CCD and they can't sell their own until that contract expires.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:25 AM   #8

thanks for the info, wonder when Nikon can get out of that contract.
Attached Images