Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:10 AM   #11

The image size in pixels is fixed it's the number of points that are measured by the camera. The print size is flexible because it's how you spread those pixels over the page. As a guide you should be aiming at a minimum PPI in the print of 200. So divide the number of pixels in each dimension by 200 to get you print size. This gives results for the D70 of roughly 15x10 and the XT of 17x11. That said larger prints tend to be viewed from further away so you can get away with lower resulutions and make bigger prints. Also digital photographs are well suited to incresing size by interpolation and bicubic smoother in photoshop Cs is very good at this as is genuine fractals.

There's an excellent explanation of DPI PPI and size here http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...uary_2005.html
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:48 AM   #12

Well thanks for the detailed explaination Nagasaki. I'm aiming for the following:

Nikon D70 with kit lens
Nikon 50MM F/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens
Extra Nikon Li-ion Battery EN-EL3
SB600 Flash
2 years Extended Warranty
Tripod & carrying bag

I can get for around $1316. Is this a good price?

max211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:26 AM   #13

Looks like a good price but being UK based I can't really comment on US prices. I do wonder why you want the 50mm when you are getting the kit lens that includes that focal length. If you need the faster lens OK but I just wondered.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:35 AM   #14

Yep, I need the 50mm f/1.8 because of the faster lens. I'm going to do lots of portrait photography (mostly wedding).I would love to have other lenses too but simply couldn't afford at the moment :sad:

max211 is offline   Reply With Quote