Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2005, 2:47 PM   #1

I have shot about 4000 pictures in the first year I've had the camera. I estimate that I could easily hit the 9999 limit within another year. What happens when DSC_9999 is used? Does the counter roll over back to 0000? That is unacceptable. I don't want to have to worry about duplicate filenames in my photo database.

I know this question has been asked before but I never saw the answer.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:20 PM   #2

Sorry, but that's what will happen. Only the camera at least creates the DSC_0000 file on a new folder. This happened once to me mid shoot, so after the fact I batch renamed the files to make sure there was continuity after DSC_9999. I don't know how you organize your photos, but I keep everything separated by chronological order, year, month, day, and a brief description of what the files are. That's for my own stuff, for work all files are batched renamed with some code letters in front of the couples' names (I'm in the wedding biz), followed by a serial number starting from 1 (with as many preceding zeros as necessary).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Administrator

calr wrote:
Quote:
I have shot about 4000 pictures in the first year I've had the camera. I estimate that I could easily hit the 9999 limit within another year. What happens when DSC_9999 is used?

You get a message on the LCD that says it is time to buy a new Nikon :blah:

Sorry, just kidding, couldn't resist.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:41 PM   #4

Hi Steve,
I like your avatar. I think you might be right. When it rolls over past 9999, it's time to look for Nikon's latest and greatest. Although it's cheaper to write a macro in PSP to renumber the images, don't tell my wife! I'll let the D100 roll over and I'll go shopping!

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Administrator

Quite a few viewing programs can auto-renumber during copy. I use ThumbsPlus like a graphical Windows Explorer, when it hits dupe filenames it offers to rename or auto renumber the images during copy to avoid overwriting. Those Nikon idiots could have solved the matter by using a file naming scheme like DSCnnnnn instead of DSC_nnnn. At least it wouldn't be a problem until exposure 100,000 and there aren't too many folks getting that far except maybe photojournalists or sports photographers.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote