Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:07 AM   #1

Have a friend with a Nikon D100 and bought a 2 meg card from Scan Disk and it does not work and when he called Nikon, they told him that Scan disk does not work with Nikon and to buy another card and gave him another manufacturer to buy.

SO, do some cameras only work with some companies' memory cards. Nikon is a compact flash card but this is a question for all cards and cameras.

I have the Panosonic FZ15, are they limited in capacity for cards? I know this is a Nikon site but thought it is an interesting question for all of us.
sandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:06 AM   #2

I hope you meant to say 2GIG instead of 2MEG....If it truely was 2MEG, it wouldn't hold 1 RAW picture........
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:15 PM   #3

If the firmware in the camera hasn't been updated to version 2 or later, it probably won't work. The limitation is the same for some of the larger capacity microdrives. My D100 has version 2 firmware and a 2gb Hitachi Microdrive works great. I haven't tried a 4gb.

As for SanDisk (it's not ScanDisk), I have several of their 512 mb cards and they work fine in both the D100 and my Minolta S414.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:50 AM   #4
kex

sandie wrote:
Quote:
...he called Nikon, they told him that Scan disk does not work with Nikon and to buy another card and gave him another manufacturer to buy.
He's lying. :?

I ONLY use Sandisk Cards. (1x 1GB Ultra II, 2x 128 MB card)

all work great without any problems.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:40 PM   #5

Yeah, I would highly recommend using the Sandisk UltraII series or better. The write rate of it is helps a lot, especially given the file size of the pictures.

There are other off brand I've seen worked well with it as well and they have high speed too.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:52 PM   #6

Agreed, have 3 myself i use in the 100 now probs largest is a 1 gig may be its the 2 that won't work ?
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:40 PM   #7

Coyboy, Translation please. Please type your posts in plain English with the words fully spelled out and proper punctuation. I don't have a clue what you were trying to say
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:45 AM   #8

I don't have a problem with Sandisk cards on my D100 at all. I'm wondering if He formats the card when he puts it in the camera. If you take the card out of the camera while it is turned on it could ruin the card permanently. Same as if you install a card with the camera turned on. Always make sure your camera is off when installing or removing a compact flash card. never format it on your computer, Do it when you install it into the camera and I'm sure You will never have a problem.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:06 AM   #9

I have a Sandisk 2gb Ultra II that works fine. Regarding formatting, if formatted in camera, FAT16 is used, but, if you format in a reader on XP, it may format in FAT32 which will not work on the D100 at all.
dcharding is offline   Reply With Quote