Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:46 PM   #1

http://homepage.mac.com/bhennan/Audi...oAlbum137.html

What the heck happened here. No flash low light. This happened again today with a flash picture. Is my three month old D70 going south?
Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:48 AM   #2
fh

I am also experimenting weird shuter behavior sometimes with flash on where the flash with be triggered as a slow flash even thought it is not set this way OR with no flash being triggered (as it should) at all and a 2 second shutter speed. Happens on ly one every 100 shots but still puzzles me. Will let you know once I find out. Please do the same :-). thx.
fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 6:55 AM   #3

It is puzzling as this has happened both with and without flash. Interesting "quilt" like effect, but I would hate to have it happen on an important shot. Anyone else out there seeing this?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:48 AM   #4

Ah, it looks as though you have the Mk2 D70 with the new square shutter. Instead of the usual shutter format this opens progressively in a square format and has stopped halfway for a split second. Or perhaps I should have written this on April 1st? Quite frankly I have no idea but I would love to find out what has happened so I have bookmarked the question. Hope we find out soon!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:05 AM   #5
Administrator

To my eyes, it looks like a corrupted image file (versus a problem with the shutter, flash, etc.).

I also noticed that it's numbered DSC_0001.JPG

Have you tried formatting the memory card in the camera? Perhaps it's FAT (file allocation table) is corrupted (orperhaps your memory card is defective). I'd try a different CompactFlash card and see if the problem still occurs if you have a spare.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6

I'd agree that the split in the file looks like corrupt data not a shutter problem on the file DSC_0001.JPG formatting may help if not I'd try another card as suggested.

As far as it being dark with wrong WB (flash not firing?) are these photos that your having a problem with taken very closely together? the flash may not be recycling fast enough.

jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:37 AM   #7

The photo pictured was not taken with a flash. My other experience with this "quilt" effect" was taken with a flash. It is possible that I took that picture too fast before the flash recycled.

I reformat the memory card every time I download pictures, via the camera. I have a Mac, so I don't format the card in the card reader on the Mac.

Note, once in awhile the computer says that it can't read one of the files and cant' download it. I too am wondering if the card is having problems?

I have been doing the two button reformating in the camera. Is there a better way to reformat the card in the camera? I of course can't do it on a Mac. Should I try reformating via a Windows machine?
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:50 AM   #8

Regardless if the flash was used or not the line in the photo seems to be from corrupt data. This line in the photo shows the tall tailed sign of bad data could be something else but my first guess would be corrupt data

First when you say two button method are you resetting all the camera settings back to default every time? Take a look at page 111 in your users guide!

To format the card go to page 155 to see were you can find the format menu in the cameras Setup Menu.

You don't want to format in your computer use the camera.

Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:56 PM   #9

Is there a difference in the two button method format routine and the menu driven one?

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d7...u=1?=b01&num=1

choose "back" to get to the back of the camera.

I'm talking about pushing the shooting mode button with the illuminator button until the display says "for" for format, then hitting them a second time. Is the menu format a "deeper" format?

I've just done the menu formatting routine. I'll see if it helps this 1GB Lexar WA/80X card.

Thanks all for the help!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:03 PM   #10

The method would be the same your using, wasn't quite sure which buttons you were referring to since their are some other 2 button options.

The card you have shouldn't have a problem with the camera so compatibility isn't and issue, Lexar is very good about replacing bad cards you may want to contact them if you still have problems