Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:04 PM   #1

I have a 200mm f 5.6 Medical Nikon lens and a 55mm f3.5 micro nikkor lens which I´ve been using with my F3 for years. Can these lenses be used on the D70?

thanks in advance

Mark
Pupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:11 PM   #2

Yes. Obviously they can only be used in manual but they can be used and will probably perform well.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:48 AM   #3

They will work, but you won't get any information through the viewfinder. Aperture and shutter speeds will require dusting down the old Weston V to work it all out. If you look further down this page at the subject matter "the moon" you'll see a photo I took using the old 50mm mirror lens on a D70 together with my take on the matter. That doesn't mean you won't get good photos with them though, but it will take some effort.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:00 AM   #4

Auto focus and autoexposure wont work but manual exposure certainly will. In manual, there is a scale in the viewfinder that will show you if you if your exposure is too high or too low. Adjust either the aperture (f-stop) or shutter speed until the viewfinder scale is centered.

Another way of putting this is that autoexposure will not adjust the lens for you but the camera metering system is still fully functional and will aid you in setting the lens.

Cal Rasmussen
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:36 AM   #5

Sorry Calr, I beg to differ. I tried my 500 mirror and got no information at all when I took the photo of the moon, whether in manual mode or any other mode. I was surprised, expecting the usual bars to show under or over exposure, plus I found that the focus was not to be set to infinity but just short to get a good shot. Bizarre, but fun trying to remember how we used to play it by ear yonks ago.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:26 PM   #6

It is not unusual for a lens to give the sharpest image just shy of infinity. I don't know why but that is a characteristic of many lenses.

I've never had my hands on a D70. I have a D100 and I am assuming they are similar. If I understand correctly, you are saying that with the camera set for full manual, you don't see the exposure bargraph in the viewfinder? I find this odd. I guess I better go read Steve's review of the D70 and then go to nikonusa.com and look at the manual. I thought that any Nikon lens could be used in manual and the exposure meter would work.

Time to go research...

Cal
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:46 AM   #7

Out of curiousity, just to check I was correct in my thinking, I put the 500mm mirror lens on the D70 again today with the same result. No information except the "green dot" on the left of the focus appeared several times. No other information at all, no matter what setting I used. No information on under or over exposure - NOTHING!

I had thought that perhaps, at the hour of the morning that I put the lens on the camera, that I had made a mistake, but no. Sorry, but that is the case. No info available.