Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2002, 12:22 PM   #1

Default Nikon D100 Under exposed?

!ATTENTION! Nikon D100 users. Are you having a problem with under exposier? Also are you experencing the same problem with the flash as well? I'd appreciate your feedback. :?
mimicoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2002, 8:33 PM   #2

Default D100 underexposed pictures

Am observing underexposed flash pictures on my D100. More underexposed at greater zoom levels. Requires flash exposure compensation of .7 to 1. Have not noticed underexposure when not using flash.l
Ron Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 9:24 PM   #3

if underexposed...why not crank up the shutter speeds....leave it open longer....any camera can be underexposed...
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:55 PM   #4

"if underexposed...why not crank up the shutter speeds....leave it open longer....any camera can be underexposed"

I hate replys like this because the person is clueless.

Anyway, I have seen this underexposure problem on my D100 with or without flash. I have found the .7 usually fixes this flash issue. It is very consistant.

I have seen some problems with my Sigma 70-200 2.8

You should document your setting and your lenses so we can compare notes. I have seen many posts about this problem. I have the firmware upgrade and the apperent upgrade for the lens.

I am very disappointed with my purchase. I debated on the D100 and the d-60 I knew the d60 had the raw/thumnail issue and it swayed me. In hindsite I wish I would have chosen the Canon, Nikon needs to fix both of these issue and soon. My cheap 35mm has a better more consistant exposure than my D100. I do feel I spent $2000 on a piece of crap that could not figure out the most simple exposers. It also has focus and softness issues. I would recommend that no one buy this camera until Nikon figures out it's problems or choose the Canon which at least has a history of working.
richardm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:06 PM   #5

I have it too; I first notice the problem after the *first* firmware update. The result is I always -- with any lens -- use at least +.3. (I have 6 lenses -- 4 Nikkor.)

For me, I've though it was related to the focus is not what it was when new... May be just a change in RAW processing though.

I have not yet had the second firmware update. Have you?
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 5:20 PM   #6

It's subjective, but I can't say I see it with the flash. That could be because the dynamic range seems to have a lot more contrast, seeming to shrink the range, with the way I use the flash. I use the 80DX, which I like very much, and a SB28 (1/8 th power) for a second source/back-fill.

Mostly, I do abstract, natural shapes -- often macros -- with post-porcessing in Photoshop for whatever effect I like.

My views come from (1) a F100 reference with vivid color film and fine grain B&W (however, I just sold the F100 and don't expect I'll ever go back to film) and (2) Canon S200, S230 and S330 models that are somewhat vivid themselves. [BTW, the S200 was the most supprizingly impressive camera I've ever used, very good lens and sensor on mine. Every camera is unique...]
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 7:30 PM   #7

Default Dealing with under exposure

I sometimes use EV+3 or +7 anything higher blows out the highlights. I use a SB80DX and flash exposure is quite good with it.
Another thing I have tried:
I'd like you to try this one its one that I like the most so far
works in all conditions that I have tried Outdoors, indoors w/flash
and indoors at a school gym with and without flash. Download from
here http://www.jtgraphics.net/all_digital.htm The one I use is the
jt_auto+++.ntc curve.
Some of the others curves created by others also worked well.
The curve I have been working on seems to be closer to what I like
everyone is different so just try them and let me know how this last
one works for you if you try it. I'm not trying to fix the photos
with curves I just want to get a photo of what I see so I can use the
cameras functions to correct the rest much easer that way since I
know what to expect from my camera settings.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2003, 8:33 PM   #8

Hi,
My new D100 also underexposes with the built in flash. I have tested all exposure modes and metering meyhods with the same result. With everything manual good exposures can be made but such an advanced (and expensive) camera hsould be able to provide good results with less effort being required from the operator. Nikon SHOUILD UPDATE THE SOFTWARE to make the D100 what it should be!!!!
Otherwise it seems to be a great camera providing results far superior to those obtained with the fixed lens models. The extra pixels and low noise make cropping practical. I will probably finf other pluses and minuses but at this point I am glad to have bought the D100.
Cliff
foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2003, 9:21 PM   #9

Default UNDEREXPOSED

The problem I have with the D100 underexposing pictures is when
I'm shooting the pictures they look good on the cameras display monitor.
But when I get home and review my shots they don't look as good.
Not even close. But by that time I can't go back and redo them.
Now the reason I'm posting this is I was just reading the breaking
news portion of this web site and the article pertaining to Dekins
picture pad being capable to read raw files made me wonder, if
you had this device with you during a photo shoot. You could
take some test shots and get a real example of how your exposures were. Then make adjustments as needed.
Whats your opinion?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:04 PM   #10

Default D100 Underexposing

I just purchased a D100 and have this same problem with the onboard flash and an SB-80DX Flash. After many test shots with both flash methods as well as using +.3 to +1.0 Flash EV adjustment all shots were way under exposed. I also used the P mode for the Camera setting with TTL Matrix. just plain badly under exposed shots.

It the dawned on me to try the manual flash with the onboard Flash, great pictures. I then attached the SB-80DX and again great pictures.

Anything with TTL were absolutely lousy.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave Maciel is offline   Reply With Quote