Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1

I want to get my wife into digital. She is currently using a Nikon N70 35mm and I am using a Nikon D100. I've seen a number of negative posts here but I get the impression the majority of D70 users are very pleased with the camera.

Camera world/Kits/Ritz currently has a special where you get a D70, Nikon 18-70mm lens, Epson R200 printer, and a year of free digital prints (15 per month) for about $1100.

Comments? Is the D70 too much camera for a newbie to the digital world? My wife is very concerned about all the computer work involved with digital. For me, it is not problem but I've been working in the computer field for about 30 years.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:53 PM   #2
TC3

Have a look here as it is a far more active forum for Nikon D70 users.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:47 PM   #3

As a camera the D70 is great and I think easier to use than the N70 which I looked at a few years ago and rejected because I didn't like the control interface.

In use the camera is probably quite similar to your D100 see the review here http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...nikon_d70.html

As for the computer side of things again probably quite similar to post processing on the D100. You'd be the best judge of whether your wife could mange that.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:06 PM   #4

Cal,

You are going about it all wrong!!:blah: Give her your D100 and get yourself a D2X.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 1:15 AM   #5

I bought a D70 and am happy with the zero digital delay but it 'works' funny compared to my other digitals (point and shoots, I admit) and much more differently than my Canon EOS Elans.

I'm wondering if I really ought to have bought a Canon digital? I'm just not sure about the feel of this Nikon. Also, I'm massively confused about all the menus and levels of menus.

futsycockydoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:47 AM   #6

Well, my wife got one over the weekend and so far, she loves it. The pictures she has shot so far look great.

As for the D2X, if I had a pile of money burning a hole in my wallet, I'd get one. Maybe, someday unless the D200 materializes!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:10 PM   #7

futsycockydoody wrote:
Quote:
I bought a D70 and am happy with the zero digital delay but it 'works' funny compared to my other digitals (point and shoots, I admit) and much more differently than my Canon EOS Elans.

I'm wondering if I really ought to have bought a Canon digital? I'm just not sure about the feel of this Nikon. Also, I'm massively confused about all the menus and levels of menus.

I think you need to define 'works funny' before anyone can comment. I find the D70 operates in a similar way to recent Nikon 35mm cameras and very differently from older cameras.

Maybe Steve's reviews of the Canon DSLRs would give you an idea of whether the interface would suit you better.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote