Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:45 PM   #1

I can't believe I'm admitting this - but I really don't like my D70. I think that I rushed into buying it because I wanted great SLR shooting performance. I love using my camera, I just hate the results (not sharp, blah colors, not sharp). BTW, I had satisfying results as a film photographer(still have my old Nikormats in a shoe box somewhere). I love being able to get the shot that I want, at the exact moment that I see it. My complaint about my first digital camera, the coolpix 4300, is the delay from when I depress the shutter to when the camera actually takes the picture. However, I've gotten some great results from that little camera. I have learned something about myself and digital photography: I have no desire to spend time post-processing. I want the picture to be great straight from the camera. I don't mind doing a little cropping or whatever, but that's it! SO what to do? Is there a point and shoot with decent shooting performance? Should I sell my D70? I am so disappointed...for a camera that feels so good - and what I see through the lens looks so good...
jkmasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:57 AM   #2
TC3

Well i honestly think you should have done your research before getting a DSLR. To get the best out of one you do need to post process. Your Nikon has custom curves you can apply that would make a big difference in the end product.

I know several D70 owners who get excellent photos out of their camera. Check to make sure the camera is not having focusing issues. Maybe it is user error? Try the manual modes as this is not a point and shootbut if that is what you prefer then go get one. How about the Nikon 8800 i think it is?

You need to learn how to use the camera and adjust it settings and then the pics will blow consumer digicams away.

Tony

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:20 AM   #3

I love my D70 great colour, sharp pictures, fast response.

What settings are you using are you shooting JPEG or RAW. I shoot RAW but you will probably get better pictures straight from the camera shooting JPEG. I dumped picture project and downloaded the free Nikon View from the Nikon website as I think it's much better software.

All digital photographs need sharpening withcompacts sharpening is applied in camera. With the D70 and JPEG sharpening is applied in camera according to the settings, I like the picture optimisation vivid. With RAW the settings are applied during post processing, from what I have experienced the settings are automatically applied as set on the camera when using Nikon View. When I use Photoshop to process the RAW files these settings are not applied so which software I use depends on how much adjustment I want to make, Photoshop gives more control. I personally don't use the automatic sharpening I prefer to do it later in Photoshop.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 6:54 AM   #4

Hi Jkmasi,

What you need to do is just take your compact flash card to a photo print shop, Sams, Walmart. Ritz camara, K-Mart or a camara store to get your pictures printed. If you ever printed your film pictures yourself you would know that they all needed a little work before a good photograph was produced. Believe me when I tell you that the digital printing on the computer is cleaner and easier then printing film. Give it a try before you unload your D70. The pictures you like best you can enhance &enlarge on your computer and either print your self or go back to the store and get it done.

Always remember, When you take film to a lab to get it printed the operator always has to tweek every picture on his machine. All cropping, color correction,levels,Etc. is alwaysOK'd by the human eye and finished by the human brain.

Ronnie948

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:41 AM   #5

D70 is great.

It can't be compared with any point an shot camera even with kit lens.

As for your problem....
It is just like moving from 3 wheel bicycle to a two wheel race bike.
First thing you do - you fall down.

What next?
You can return to three wheels or learn how to ride on two
Dmitry M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:27 AM   #6

yes, I should have done my homework. But I didn't do enough so that's that. And now I've learned that I don't want to post process. It's called live and learn. I would like to learn how to get better results right out of the camera before I decide to switch because I honestly don't think that I will be satisfied with the shooting performance of a point and shoot.

jkmasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 3:18 PM   #7

Amazing!!! Not only is the D70 a fun camera, but the bad boy has gotten me a $10,000 contract to shoot a prom. Heck bring on all that hard post processing.
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 4:43 PM   #8

Heres a D70 product with not a lot of hard work that they seem to like. Shot with an SB800 on camera. Outside of auto-level, and a tiny bit of noiseware, thats about 60 seconds of post processing.
Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:19 PM   #9

You CAN use your D70 w/o a lot of processing and get good results. The previous pic (wedding) is a bit blown out on the dress highlites, but overall not bad and I'm sure the bridal couple will enjoy it.

When I 1st got my D70...only 6 months ago LOL...I set it on JPG fine, Optimize Image set at sharp and started shooting. I did not know a thing about processing. Not that I know A LOT 6 months later , but I know more now than I used to and now shoot RAW for the important stuff.

Here's one of the 1st images I captured. ISO 1600 f/1.8. I did shoot on manuel and set the shutter speed, but the apature was set to widest possible and WB and Tone both set to auto.
Attached Images

brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:25 PM   #10

brando, thank you for the critique, but im sure you will agree that the blown highlites has more to do with the man behind the camera then the camera:G. This was a situation where the wedding was running so late the priest was about to close the church, thereby the on camera flash was the most convient situation at hand.

Even to work more detail in the gown wouldnt be that much post processing, not that I know alot about processing. But you can attest to most pleasing results, especially the colors that the D70 produce.