Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2005, 4:55 AM   #1

Hi. I've had my D70 for about a month now, having bought the D70 body with anAF Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Aspherical Macro lens as I wanted to use it for wildlife shots on holiday (sadly, couldn't afford anything bigger!).

I have found the sharpness isn't too good even when taking close shots, though I have tried changing the sharpness settings on the camera.

On other threads I have seensuggestions about using Photoshop (or similar) to sharpen instead of using the camera settings, which I intend trying, but just wondered if anyone else has noticed a lack of sharpness with Sigma lenses?

I havebeen so pleased with the ease of use of the D70 but so disappointed with the quality of the imagaes.

I have my image quality set to Fine, on Large but can't see how that would make things worse, surely?

Any comments welcome!

Sue
suerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2005, 6:49 AM   #2

I've had my D70 for about 8 months now. I find that it is better to post process (sharpen, unsharpmask etc.) in photoshop or another program. DSLRs need post processing because, when shooting in raw mode, the camera does nothing to enhance the images. PS cameras usually enhance in the camera. that particula Sigma lens is probably not the sharpest because of the wide range in focal length. Unfortunately buying an DSLR in only the beginning of the high dollar spending. I would try some post processing first though. Find the silver lining...you have a DSLR. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 6:54 AM   #3

Hallo, Woody. Many thanks for your response - that does clarify things for me.

What I have also just discovered is that Auto focus isn't nearly as sharp as Manual focus - guess which one I've been using? !! Need to think about that and whether to contact Sigma to see if it's a generic problem or if my lens is faulty.

Thanks again,

Sue

Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:13 AM   #4

Woody is right about post procesing. I have the Tamron 28-300 and I have my D-70 sharpening set to medium and when I down load my pics I finish sharpening in photoshop. This lense also has a sweet spot around 100 mm. You get your best sharp photos here even at close up. And I know it is not always easy to carry with you but a tripod or monopod also helps with making images sharp with this lense. As soon as someone tells me how to down size my photos to 250kb I will post some. I have down sized them to 640x480 and they are still to big to post.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:59 PM   #5

If avoid the one lens that does all you will have sharper results. Try a 70-300ED nikon or sigma apo len for your telephoto shots and an 18-70 nikon for wide and normal shots.

Peter

nikon d100

18-70, 35f2, 50f1.4,85f1.8, 300f4 70-300ed Nikon lens

20-40f2.8, 70-210f2.8, 70-300f4-5.6apo. 120-300f2.8 Sigma lens

PeterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 4:48 PM   #6

Thank you for all your responses - it's still a learning curve for me so all information and suggestions are very welcome.

I have a feeling I will be spending more time than I should in getting to grips with it all, but I'm already getting a kick out of what I've learned so far I can't see me stopping now!

Regards,

Sue
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:24 AM   #7

gettting a single 28-300 lens or 18-200 DClens has 2 advantages.

1. the CCD is protected as you are rarely if ever changing lenses

2. you can get a lot of photo ops as you are not stuck changing lenses.

on the flip side i have not come across any 10x lens that worsk well across the entire range. Also many of these lenses are a bit slow which forces one to push the ISO up and invite grain.

Nikon 18-70 + 70-300ED combo can be a nice compromise. the 70-300 esp is nice on digital as the softness on the edges it displays with film bodies will be less noticeable when on a2/3 sized sensor.
navin advani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:17 AM   #8

hi sue,
i also have the siogma 28-300 on a d70.i also am very dissapointed with its optics.maybe your lens is of the same period/ilk as mine.a letter of complaint to sigma uk i think.rgds from tbm in glasgow,scotland,uk.
camerabuff05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:43 AM   #9

I have the non-macro version of this lens om my D70, I too have been very disappointed with the sharpness of it

Colin
col1962 is offline   Reply With Quote