Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:25 AM   #1

I'm currently wondering about investing in the new Nikon 12meg model. Can anyone remind me how to calculate maximum image size from the resolution figure? I work mainly in landscape and need to enlarge up to at least 20x16in.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Bill
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:03 AM   #2

It depends on your target resolution. It's generally reckoned that the best you need is 300 DPI and that for most purposes 200 DPI is good enough.

The D2X is 4288 x 2848 pixels dividing by 300 gives 14.2 by 9.5 inches or at 200 DPI 21.4 x 14.24

The Canon 1Ds MKii is 16 Mp but because the resolution is a measure of area this doesn't actually give you much more 4992x3328 pixels 25x16.64 at 200DPI
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:39 AM   #3

Many thanks. I'll save the £3,500 and stick to my F6 and Velvia-those sizes just aren't big enough for some [admitedly only some] of the work I do.

Bill
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:12 AM   #4

Another thing to bear in mind is that interpolation works well on digital pictures, far better than it does on scans of film.

I recently saw a comparison of a 12Mp picture and a film shot blown up to about 30ft. The film won by a whisker. It didn't blow away the digital print the way I expected it to.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:21 AM   #5

I've only seen one decent set of comparison tests where they left the film completely in the photographic process and compared results with digital. Most tests give too much edge to digital by converting to digital for the comparison.

The result of the tests where they left the film completely in the photographic process found that a 6Mp DSLR was about equivalent to the best consumer ASA100 film and that 11Mp was about equivalent to Velvia. Those comparisons were for resolution only. Film still has a slight edge in dynamic range. Digital more than makes up for that with the advantages of the digital darkroom IMO.

If you can generate the size you want with the quality you are looking for from 35mm and Velvia you can get it from 11Mp in a good DSLR. If you are currently taking advantage of the digital darkroom rather than leaving the Velvia completely in the photographic process you would do better with the 11Mp or higher digital camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote