Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:08 PM   #1

I have the D70 kit with the 18-70 lens it comes with.

I want to take closeups of objects probably no smaller than the size of a matchbook. I want the object to fill pretty much the entire frame.

The closest focus distance on the 18-70 is 1.2 feet, and on the built-in flash 2 feet. At that distance, I can't do the closeups.

If I zoom in with the 18-70, I can fill most of the frame with the object.

As a newbie, my question is: do I sacrifice picture quality (eg, sharpness) by using the zoom-in method with the 18-70, as opposed to using a Nikon micro lens?

Second: assuming I wanted to spring for a Nikon micro lens, what are my options?

And I assume I'll also need to purchase a speedlight so I can get closer than 2 feet? What options here?

Thanks!
hooha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:30 PM   #2

I am new to the D70 also and what I have discovered is to set the camera to macro mode,frame and focus yourtarget and take the photo. Also shoot at the highest megapixel setting. When you download the photo, you can experiment with cropping to get the desired macro shot. I have done this several times and with the highest mp setting, the photo turns out well. I am using the basic lens that comes with the camera.
orbitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:36 AM   #3

You will get better results with a macro lens. They are optimised for close focussing. There are a great many options it depends on how close you want to get to your subject. A few I can think of are Nikkor 60mm 105mm and 200mm in ascending order of focal length and price. Cheaper alternatives are Sigma 50mm, 105mm and 180mm and the tamron 90mm. All these are lifesize 1:1 lenses which means thata subject the same size as the sensor will fill the sensor. What's different is how close you have to get to your subject to get a 1:1 size shot. They are all also capable of focusing right out to infinity so can be used for general photography as well. So as well as the price you need to consider whether you want a portrait or a telephoto lens.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still wondering about the speedlight issue, since the built-in one can't be used closer than 2 feet.

What are my options here?

Thanks!
hooha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 5:53 AM   #5

You've got a couple of choices. You could go for the Nikon SB600 which I'm guessing will allow you to shoot closer than 2ft. It also has a range of manual power settings which would allow you to adjust the settings.

Most of my macro shots are taken underwater so I use a non-Nikon strobe. This is used off camera so although the power settings I have are limited and no TTL I can vary the flash to subject distance and this is what matters.

For land photography I have an old Sunpak strobe that still works well enough, a hot shoe to PC socketconvertor and a PC to hot shoe extension lead. This allows me to use the strobe off camera. I can adjust the power output and also the flash to subject distance.

You quickly learn what settings work and because you get instant feedback on the monitor you can correct the settings and shoot again. And it's likely to be a lot cheaper than a Nikon strobe.

A little know feature of the D70 is that 1/500 is an artificial flash sync limit. With a manual strobe the D70's electronic shutter syncs all the way up to /1800. This creates some interesting side effects as at faster speeds the shutter closes before the flash has finished firing. There's some interesting tests on this underwater forum http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6169

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 1:56 PM   #6

I have the standard kits lenses. The 28-80mm Nikkor G and 70-300mm Nikkor G.
Would love to buy the 60mm lens however the D70 purchase has cleaned me out for a while.

I read somewhere about the 6T macro ring. Firstly would it work with my lenses as they are the G versions, and secondly would it be up to the task of taking insect macros?

Anybody got any advice? I know you get what you pay for but as a stop gap can anyone recommend the 6T or anything else?

Simonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 2:28 AM   #7

I use the Nikon D-70 with the micro nikkor 105 mms and the built in flash camera, with good results:

Attached Images

crazydrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:56 AM   #8

do you feel that the 105mm lens (155mm on d70) is a good zoom for a macro?
twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 5:07 AM   #9

The 105 is a very good fixed focal (no zoom) lens, with awesome results in macro, landscape & portrait.
crazydrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 11:31 AM   #10

Simonl, I have the Sigma 70-300 and I use a Canon 250D close up filter with it. I get great results! However, I have to get pretty close to my subject to do so. I am assuming the 6T is alot like 250D but not sure. Below is a couple ofshots I just took of a tiny, grain of rice sized, fly. This was taken with the 70-300, Canon 250D, and the Hoya +4.. the 250D and the Hoya are both close up filters. ~Dee~

[img]http://www.msnusers.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=n IQAAAJQMMMFEdJHitsXG*UykPCVIC5bokKPDxWVq*o5tiEDt8C 2t2j!SPM8uWR658SX5SerlBmU[/img]
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetMBPhoto&ImageID=n IQAAAJUMUcHOnfNzp1SUmbD0Z*I8XSStlJGkdHDuHCKz8fBt*P kroAEePTx2J56g9!J8DgvWmMs[/img]
deidre624 is offline   Reply With Quote