Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2005, 6:22 PM   #1

Just in case anyone is interested. There is a nice side by side comparison of it here (towards the bottom of the page)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp#compared

smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:44 AM   #2

Is there really any big difference that's worthy for us to wait for d70s? other than the bigger LCD and the possibility that the price of the D70 might drop further?
master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:23 AM   #3

master wrote:
Quote:
Is there really any big difference that's worthy for us to wait for d70s?

I didn't think so, which is why I hopped off the fence this morning and bought a d70.

weirdfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:12 AM   #4

If I were buying my D70 today, I would wait until the D70s is available. Because you can also used a wired remote with the D70s (the D70 has an infrared remote that has to be pointed at the front of the camera, so if you are behind the camera, you have to reach around the front with the remote and point it at the sensor). The wired remote option on the D70s will allow for a vertical grip. There "officially" is no vertical grip for the D70.

So, other than the wired remote and the bigger LCD, there are no physical differences between the cameras. The firmware update for the D70 will make it behave like a D70s (other than the physical differences of course).

I may get a D70s and then use my D70 as my secondary body.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:49 AM   #5
kex

PrmseKpr wrote:
Quote:
If I were buying my D70 today, I would wait until the D70s is available. Because you can also used a wired remote with the D70s (the D70 has an infrared remote that has to be pointed at the front of the camera, so if you are behind the camera, you have to reach around the front with the remote and point it at the sensor). The wired remote option on the D70s will allow for a vertical grip. There "officially" is no vertical grip for the D70.

So, other than the wired remote and the bigger LCD, there are no physical differences between the cameras. The firmware update for the D70 will make it behave like a D70s (other than the physical differences of course).

I may get a D70s and then use my D70 as my secondary body.
my wireless remote also works from behind the camera. I don't know why everybody is complaining about that.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:02 AM   #6

The D70s also has USB high speed 2.0 while the D70 has the older slower USB
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:05 AM   #7
kex

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:
doesn't matter for most users, too, because they use card readers.
Honestly, I think the *UPGRADE* to a D70s isn't neccessary. (for me. )
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:44 PM   #8

Since prices haven't been announced yet, it is a bit speculative to say which is best, but based on the specifications, I can't see what all the fuss is about. A slightly enlarged screen and a couple of improvements which quite frankly don't amount to about £400/$750 worth of difference. This incredible hunger to have the latest, whether it be really better or not, is becoming obsessive, like the quest for more pixels andfaster reading speeds. What actually do they mean in real life for heaven's sake? How many actually crop and print? How many are that hard pressed that USB makes any difference at all? The D70 is aimed at the serious amateur not the professional sports photograher, and as such is more than adequate for their needs. I have an A3 printer and have no complaints at all, but for motor racing, where I will crop and print, might eventually require the D2X, but my employers haven't complained yet about the quality of photographs taken with the D70.

In my book it is just saying "mine is better than yours" irrespective of whether you know how to use it or not. What do you think?
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 7:05 PM   #9

chrisdsa wrote:
Quote:

Most camera owners don't transfer files via the camera, they use a card reader. So, this is a non-issue for me.

The only thing making the D70s attractive to me is the wired remote option and possible vertical grip.

PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:08 AM   #10

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
Since prices haven't been announced yet, it is a bit speculative to say which is best,

In the UK the announcement of the Nikon website give RRP of D70s body: £699.99 / €1045.00 which is the same as the D70 although I guess the D70 will drop in price to clear stocks.

And for the D50 body: £549.99 / €821.00

There's a bigger difference in the kit prices as they include different lenses.

D70s kit with 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX: £899.99 / €1343.00

D50 kit with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G: £649.99 / €971.00

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote