Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 12, 2005, 9:02 AM   #11

Hi Craigers:

What Nikon service center did you send your camera to? I sent mine to the Melville NY center. It is still "in shop" but my letter indicated that it will be repaired under warrenty at no cost. I have heard of bent pins but really can not see how one could bend a pin in the card slot? I guess you could force the card in upside down and maybe bend a pin? I'd be upset with that too.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 11:43 AM   #12

Terry-
In Torrance, CA. I talked to 'some dude with 'tude' and didn't give my consent. I will calling back to speak with a manager.

Thanks to this forum (and a few others I've since discovered- boy, we got a problem here don't we?!) I've got a lot more confidence.

At this point, I don't think there is a remedy to this particular fault (wouldn't be great if it happens again when you're right in the middle of a shoto!), and this could happen again. I'd rather they buy back the camera (I know...) and I'll switch back to Canon.

-C
Craigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 3:44 PM   #13

Sent the camera off to Nikon UK as nobody else in the US is authorised to repair the D70. 3 weeks later I recieved the camera and the charge was around 80 punds (USD150) to repair the "blown board". Within the UK you are under your rights to ask for the replaced parts, upon which I was told that the part that had blown was the main board and that it was being sent back to Japan if that was OK with me. It was said that they would then re-send the board back to me after the engineers in Japan have had chance to figure out what went wrong. I wont hold my breath on that point...

Because the camera was just out of warranty (less than 1 month) apparently the service centers are able to wave the charge for any repair if they see fit as long as you can show proof of purchase.

To top it off though, upon returning the camera to me the muppet service enginer did not check the camera properly and sent it out with an inability to auto focus any further than 3m away, although the lense would scan to infinity. Manual focus worked fine, must have been the blown board and not a faulty connection....

Called again, recieved an appology and sent it off again....

Not to see if they can fix it in less than 3 weeks again...
karltomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 8:50 AM   #14

I just recieved my camera back from NikonUSA in Melville. It was about 2 weeks in the shop. They seemed to fix everything. They upgraded the firmware and cleaned the sensor. They even replaced my lost LCD cover! And the best thing is it was all done under warrenty with no cost to me other than the initial shipping. I am very pleased. Time will tell if there are any other problems but I feel I have a new camera now.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 7:02 PM   #15
crd

Another case of an error message - leading to diagnosis of 'Bent Pins' from the Torrance service center. The camera had been working fine - just turned it on one day and got the error. Don't think we shoved a card in wrong to cause it (we do treat it with respect) - and even if a card did go in wrong, the construction certainly shouldn't be so sensitive as to cause an error. Got a $200 repair quote back - called to dispute it and got a guy with attitude - finally got him to do a 'courtesy reduction' of $50. Probably should have taken it up with a manager but I was tired of spending so much time on hold...
Not real good service in my book!
crd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 4:31 PM   #16

After calling Nikon and complaining about being sent out a faulty "repaired" camera they pushed the re-repair through in 2 days and it was back with me 3 days later, working.

Upon sending proof of purchase they will cancel the bill.

The fault was the FPC or FCP board, which I will hopefully recieve in a few weeks after it has done the round trip to Japan !

Happy customer again.
karltomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:54 PM   #17

Well, I have joined the dead D70 club. It exhibited the same symptoms as terryg's and karltomlinson's. It has been sent in for repairs but as Murphy's Law states: "The warranty will expire just before a failure"! It was purchased at Ritz Camera, 4/17/2004. Oh well, I asked if they could be benevolent and "extend" the warranty period given the timing of the failure...we'll see what happens. I'll post the outcome here.

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 7:08 AM   #18

wow ok. i am having the exact same problem and my camera JUST died about an hour ago. i guess it cant be fixed on your own? i've never had to send anything back for repair before. i used to think nikon was THE camera brand but now its not looking so good. everyones d70s seem to be dying around the same time??
iblastoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:46 AM   #19

I also had the same problem with my d70 just 2 months past my warranty..I sent my camera to NY and they sent me a letter saying they will fix it at no charge:GMaybe Nikon knows this is a common problem with the d70..
ma8007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:31 AM   #20

:?I am apparently having a problem with "bent pins" on my Coolpix 8800. The camera will not operate; all electric systems will not respond though I put in a new, freshly charged battery. What did Nikon do with your bent pin problem? As terrg wrote, i do not see how you can bend a pin, especially an end pin that is "bent' at a right angle and totally flat on the bottm of the card reader port.

Any ideas or input in dealing with nikon on this would be appreciated. I will be dealing with the Torrance California repair facility.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote