Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:42 AM   #21

I am apparently having a problem with "bent pins" on my Coolpix 8800. The camera will not operate; all electric systems will not respond though I put in a new, freshly charged battery. What did Nikon do with your bent pin problem? As terrg wrote, i do not see how you can bend a pin, especially an end pin that is "bent' at a right angle and totally flat on the bottm of the card reader port.

Any ideas or input in dealing with nikon on this would be appreciated. I will be dealing with the Torrance California repair facility.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:41 AM   #22

Well I seem to have joined the Broken D70 club with a 14 month old camera. Quite relieved to see other people having the same problem.

My card access lamp just blinks on and off whenever a card is inserted. Nothing on the led display. If I push the menu button, I get a display for a fraction of a second and then it disappears. Same when trying to preview pictures.

I will take it to Nikon is South Africa and let you know what happened.

Peter
petervdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:24 PM   #23

Welcome ?? Peter,

Well, unfortunately, misery loves company. My D70 was received by Nikon Service, Torrance, CA. on June 1st but, 10 days later, I have received no acknowledgment...yet. Hopefully soon.

...Ed

UPDATE:Good news and bad news. I just received confirmation that Nikon received the camera. There apparently will be no charge, but the camera is on "parts hold". I hope it doesn't take too long. Stay tuned.

...Ed

UPDATE: The Nikon service website indicates the parts arrived and the camera is in the shop. It is a "Class C Major Repair" but will be "Complimentary Service", aka... No Charge! Cool! I used the free time to research a new lens and have purchased a Sigma 50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG HSM AF "Bigma" from B&H. It appears to be the best bang for the buck. Also Nikon Capture 4.2 rounds out my spending spree. I hope to be back in the saddle again soon!

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:59 AM   #24

Peter, please let us know what Nikon SA say. I am also from South Africa and would like to know how they handle this issue. My camera is still OK, but I am still interested in how what happens to your camera.

Their offices are in Kyalami, near Johannesburg, are you going to take it in yourself or are you from somewhere else in the country.
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:19 PM   #25

Hi Jola,

I am going to take it in tomorrow as i am in jhb for some business. I live in White River so hopefully I can get them to hurry it up for me. I'll keep you posted.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:26 PM   #26

try a KM 7D

have been using mine and changing lenses at the beach for 8 months

when the CMOS sensor gets dusty or salty i clean it (gently) with a q-tip moistened with methanol

you get what you pay for
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:36 PM   #27

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
you get what you pay for
?????? .......Oh, I get it, the camera YOU bought is better than mine...of course, you knew this would happen all along. How could I have been so stupid!!!

...Ed
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:52 PM   #28

Sorry, wrong thread
Old Jun 18, 2005, 12:21 AM   #29

Well I took my camera to Nikon SA in Kyalami on monday and got a call from them on wednesday to say that they needed to replace the AE sensor and that it would cost about R1000 (+-$140). I told them about this forum and the problems people were having and they agreed to fix the camera for free (14 months old). I picked it up yesterday (friday) and it is fixed!

Well done Nikon SA!
Old Jun 23, 2005, 9:55 PM   #30

Hi,

Well, the D70 arrived today, all better! The repair order states that they:

Replaced the "Metering FPC".
In addition they;
Adj. autofocus operation,
Adj. exposure,
Mod Version Upgrade (if that means firmware 2.0, I had already done this),
Checked sequence operation,
General check and clean.

They also forgot to return the battery I included, no biggie, I have two extras. All this was done as "Complimentary Service". I am very pleased with Nikon for taking care of a problem that they didn't really have to as my warranty had offically expired. There was an email from Nikon Tech Support that was very pleasant and even apologetic. Kudos Nikon!

To add icing to my cake, my Sigma DG "Bigma", 500ST NA-iTTL flash and a copy of Nikon Capture 4.3, all from B&H, also arrived...ALL at the same time! Christmas in June! Now I can try and compete with the "big boys and girls"!

...Ed