Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2005, 5:31 PM   #31

hi,*this is my first post as well. i came across the forum after searching for problems with the D70. Seems like you are having the exact same problem I'm having. I bought the camera last May, so of course the warranty has run out a few months ago. Now I have to send my camera in to melville. It will have good company since my sb-800 flash is already there. I'm very frustrated with Nikon right now!!!And of course, I have a wedding tonight. Good thing that camera was just my back up.
imaginativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:00 AM   #32

Hi everyone,I have been reading the site for a while and thought there were a lot of unlucky people out there with D70's going faulty at about the end of warranty.
Well I can now join the "club".Had my first D70 11 months,taken about 8000 shots in that time without any prob's at all.In fact loved the camera so much,I bought another one last December.Three weeks ago went to use camera 1,took 4 shots and then the dreaded ERR message on the top screen.The shutter appears to be locked.Return to Nikon UK for repair.I have just got the repair info back and it says that the shutter mech' is faulty and needs replacing.It will take about 3 weeks.I asked an engineer from Nikon uk how long the shutter should last and was told about 100.000 actuations,and I was just unlucky.Has anyone else had a shutter failure?I will have to carry both cameras now until my confidence returns.
clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:43 PM   #33

I to have a dead d70. Just died a few hours ago. I purchased my camera in the the early spring of 2004 and taken just over 7000 frames with this camera. I cannot believe Nikon is trying to blame this on bent pins, this is crazy. I have been able to get the camera to work for a few moments, 3 frams since it originally died but, now nothing seems to work. I will call Nikon Monday morning and see what they say. I do hope they will fix for free since this seems to be a manufacturing issue. I will update with my experience with Nikon.
mlemasters2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:03 PM   #34

Google "bglod" and see what your problem is.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:09 AM   #35

The exact same problem has just occurred on my D70. Can't do anything with it. Card access lamp flashes when a CF card is installed, LCD display is blank, monitor display flashes off after one-half sec. I am very disappointed. I have emailed Nikon and await their reply. This camera was used very little and had the best of care. I took it from my camera bag yesterday and found it in this condition! Yikes, I never expected this from a Nikon product, and it is most definitely out of warranty.
bobcnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:36 PM   #36

Following thru with the D70 club. Mine was purchased in very late 2004in Japan.

Fantastic tool. Right up until two weeks ago... err, flashing green light, mirror locked up...

Sent the camera in through a local Nikon dealer to Nikon ( very welll respected by other users ) and received an estimate at close to $400.00. I have read numerous files here and there to find similar issues surrounding the camera. I was told at Nikon that it was a circuit board which needed to be replaced. Not only in the camera but the kit lens as well...

What?!?

Anyone here experienced such a response from Nikon? In addition, has anyone here had a D70 purchased from Japan with the same camera malfunction?

Curlous...

otatanbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 8:54 AM   #37

Once again, this is the BGLOD (Blinking green light of death) that pagued some earlier versions of the D70. Nikon was repairing these cameras free of charge. This issue has been discussed numerous times. Just check through the forums or google "BGLOD" to find out how to proceed.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 11:23 AM   #38

I have just had a D70 blow out. My camera took 3 pics then stopped working and the light blinks or the menu will go on for a second then off. the camera will also not turn off or if off will not turn on. I am eager to get this fixed but unfortunatlly the camera is out of warrenty. I wait to see results
richardp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 12:38 PM   #39
Administrator

It shouldn't make any difference if it's out of warranty, as long as it's the same problem they announced they'd fix for free (but,they probably fail for other reasons, too).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin...html#nikon_adv

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:32 AM   #40

I had the same problem... called nikon and they told me to send it in and gave me a link to a service advisory on it.

http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images...isory/d70.html
gmblack is offline   Reply With Quote