Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:23 AM   #1

This is my first post to the forum, although I have been reading all the great posts for a while. I went to use my D70 this weekend and discovered that it is not working! I used it a week ago and it was functioning fine. The first thing I noticed was that the CF write LED was blinking at about 1 second intervals. Removing the CF card stopped this. I tryed resetting everything and also called Nikon Tech Support. The camera would not start up. Tried new batteries, a different CF, nothing worked. So I am sending it to Nikon for repairs. I am very concerned in that it is very close to a year since I purchased this camera and I am not used to Nikon cameras failing like this. I will let you know how this pans out.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:09 AM   #2

That sounds like a bent pin in the CF compartment, causing some kind of short circuit. Also, did you try to use a different compactflash, and if so was there any difference in behavior? Please try to use easier to read font colors, yellow against light gray is not readable unless you highlight the text :?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:12 AM   #3

My D70 also died without anything noticable happening to it, i.e. dropping, water, etc. The green LED flashing repeatedly, although I did not get any display on the LCD at the top, although the menu on the LCD at the back would work for atound 200ms before switching off again.

From another post it is apparently an internal lose connection, although I'm waiting for Nikon to repair it.

Posted it to Nikon, Friday morning, awaiting engineer to have a look atit. Will post back the results.

karltomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 7:22 AM   #4

Additional info, the camera is just over 1 year old and has taken around 30k pictures.

Tried several lenses, different batteriesand flash cards. Checked the pins on the CF slot as well.

May be interesting to see if this actually is a common fault with D70's in terms of internal connections that don't seem to last very long ?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:32 AM   #5

QUOTE 1 : "This is a major problem and the camera needs to be sent to Nikon for repair. It is a latent fault in most D70's purchased (manufactured?)prior to September 2004 and is also well documented on the dpreview site. Nikon should repair irrespective of warranty having expired as it is a manufacturing issue."

QUOTE 2 : "It's my understanding that the problem with the FPC board (blinkng green problem) was fixed in D70's produced after Sept. 2004. Mine just came back from fixing. March 16 was its 1 year birthday."

This thread sums it up....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13079285
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:34 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replys.

Karltomlinson: What you describe is EACTLY my esperience in how my D70 failed.I have about the same number of shots and tryed the same things; i.e. differant CF cards, batteries, etc.My camera is just over a year old and was never dropped or missused.

Marocero: Sorry for the font, on my PC the forum background is black.

Well my camera body should be in Melville tomorrow and hopefully I will get some feedback from Nikon by weeks end.

Old May 2, 2005, 6:12 AM   #7

I am on my THIRD D70 in less than four months! The first one died after about three months, the next one didn't even last two weeks. The first one just simply quit working and gave the dreaded ERR display, apparantly the Nikon equivalent of Microsoft's Blue Screen of Death. The second one continued to take pictures, but all of the controls on the back of the camera failed. I could turn it on, take pictures, see the review, but couldn't do anything with the buttons or the 4 way button. The first one has to go back to Nikon, but Best Buy replaced the defective camera with a whole new system, no questions asked! I had purchased their extended warranty (having learned from my experince with D70 numer one!), but they would have replaced it even without the extended warranty. The considered it DOA since it didn't make it through the 14 day return period. My hat's off to Best Buy, but I am pretty skeptical right now about the D70.
jwparkerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:01 AM   #8

Well I have just received a letter from NikonUSA. They indicate that this is a B2 repair which I guess means a moderate repair with substantial parts replaced. and that it is currently"in the shop". Anyway they are taking care of everything under Warrenty and charging me nothing! They are also upgrading the firmware.

Way to go NikonUSA!

After having to go back to my Coolpix 990, (which I still love), while my D70 is being repaired, Man I miss my D70! You do get spoiled.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:02 PM   #9

terryg wrote:
Quote:
Marocero: Sorry for the font, on my PC the forum background is black.
terryg, if you go to the top of the page and click on "My Account" then "Preferences", for "Board Theme" select "Default 2". That should give you a gray and white background with black text.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 7:23 PM   #10

Hi-
Just sent my D70 in for repair in mid-April. Got the estimate in the mail rather fast (April 27, within a week of them receiving the camera).
I called today and when they told me I had bent pins, I could not reconcile this with what the camera was doing when it went dead. I had not removed the card for some time, and had just replaced the battery after charging it.
They want to charge me $281.00 to repair- I think they are having me on.
I did a quick search on 'd70 bent pin' and found this forum. This is my first post here, though I am no stranger to reading to the content on Steve's site (I got the camera in March 2004 after reading the review here!).
Now that there are quite a few other people experiencing this same sort of scam, perhaps we need to join together in force, i.e., file suit? Of course, that will make the lawyers richer, and won't get my camera back soon, and I need it.
Has anyone gone back to Nikon to say they have learned that this is a pretty common malady, and others have had their repired/replaced at no charge, and show should others? I don't like the feeling that I am being scammed by what I perceived as a reputable firm. I feel sick.
Oh and BTW, mine was still under warranty when it died.
Do Nikon usually act like right bastards?
Craigers is offline   Reply With Quote