Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1
DBB

I found a dead body at my favorite beach and called the police. Naturally the press arrived. Daily News? D1H, D2H, Post, D1H.

I asked why?

They replied; "reliability and speed. We don't need the resolution"

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2

Regarding the cameras I mean... That sucks about the dead body Hope the ones responsible for this are found and fully punished.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3
DBB

Interestingly enough, the papers both took pictures of me and my dog. I was kind of hoping to be in the paper.

I am also astonished at my blase attitude. But than again I've been expecting to find a body on this beach for two years, it's that kind of place. While this is Brooklyn, it might just as well be the Canadioan Northern coast for the amount of people who actually walk this area.

By the comments of some detectives, this appears to have been a drug case, and a part of a gang dispute, but I can't say for sure.

dave
Old May 2, 2005, 8:17 AM   #4
DBB

Turns out the Post did print something on the story and got everything wrong except the time:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/43279.htm

Dave
Old May 4, 2005, 9:43 AM   #5

Don't get me started on "The Press" photographers. I am ALWAYS amazed that I can get better photos covering the same story then the press. Your typical Press photographer is a machanic that would be better suited with a point and shoot camera.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 11:37 AM   #6

Grinder wrote:
Quote:
Don't get me started on "The Press" photographers. I am ALWAYS amazed that I can get better photos covering the same story then the press. Your typical Press photographer is a machanic that would be better suited with a point and shoot camera.
I'm usually a calm quiet man. But when I read the above quote from some person who feels the need to trash an entire group of professional photojournalists, that kind of ticks me off! I've been a photographer for more than 30 years, more than twenty of those years as a television videographer in both news and production. I've worked side by side with some of the best photojournalists around. I found none of them to be "machanic" whatever that means. It is not a word. The majority of those photojournalists were very professional and caring people. I would bet that, if given a "point and shoot" camera, they would shoot rings around you. Heck, you could have the latest and greatest DSLR, lenses, flashes and whatever else you think makes a good photographer,and they would still dust your butt! Grinder, I don't know you. But I've met plenty of your type during my life. Grinder, you wouldn't make a decent pimple on a real photojournalists rear end. I'm hoping you're young and ignorant. You could use that as your excuse for speaking before thinking. Woody

woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7
DBB

Now, now....:lol:

It may be that those are the photographers he's met.

Certainly these guys knew what they were doing.

dave
Old May 5, 2005, 5:15 PM   #8

Grinder wrote:
Quote:
Even if you're right, we still have press passes and more freedom of speech than you do. Suck on it.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 9:47 PM   #9

Folks as well i have press credentials as a photojournalist from the local newspaper.

To give all the credit that is deserved to the press photographers, being one normally means (especially for a newspaper) that you might have to cover two, three, or even four events in a day. And while all effort should be put into creating the best picture possible, time does not always allow this, and you have to get in, cover the story and get out to the next assignment.

Now, seeing the other side. There are some photographers hired by newspapers, that sometimes only have basic training on a camera. So they are not always fully aware on what to look for in composistion Exposure, DOF, ect.

Now as a photojournalist myself, i only took MINOR offense to his post. I am very much assuming that he is referring to the photographers that were covering that story. There is no physical harm done to me over the comment, and he is very much free to express his opinion on the matter, as are all of us.

Travis-

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote