Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 1, 2005, 12:17 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm thinking of entering DSLR world, but still unclear on some issues and hope that you guys can help me out.

I'm shooting with Canon S1 IS now and feel the need to upgrade to DSLR hoping to get accurate and fast auto focus and good performance in low light situations using high ISO setting. Primarily camera will be used for shooting a very fast moving "objects" (dance and karate lessons of my kids and just them playing in the house). After reviewing lots of options I'm set to get a Nikon D70 kit hoping that kit lens would do for now and my next step would be a fast 50mm F1.4 lens. BTW any comments on my decision are very, very welcome.

And now about a major thing…

All reviews are saying that UNPROCESSED images from DSLRs would be very disappointing to people who used to have point and shoot cameras since image processor in these cameras does everything for you.

I wonder if any of you guys who already own D70 can share some UNPROCESSED images so I can first of all see how bad or good they are and secondly play with them in Photoshop to determine how much time and effort it would take to make them perfect. So, basically I'm trying to see if I'm up to this challenge since I'm not a Photoshop guru.

Thanks in advance for your time.
goshik1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 3:54 PM   #2

I think they are saying that you can do so much more WITH post processing.

For instance - I went to a concert last night and took a ton of photos. I was stuck in one place and when I looked at teh results I was under whelmed. However - the "photo" is so huge that with cropping they turned out pretty good.

Thus - the shots .. non-tweaked. were average. But tweaked - they were pretty nice.

It's just how you look at it. Instead of sending your film to a custom lab and teling them what to do - YOU have that ability. But, you have to learn how to do it.

Instead of knowing how to work a camera - you will benifit from learning how to post process - and THEN you really have an outstanding product.

For instance, the photo below is perhaps 1/4 of the entire shot. It was taken with the "kit" (an OUTSTANDING) lens at ISO 1600 160th of a second. The only thing I have done is crop - yet - I can still play with color, sharpening and all sorts of other things.

The 2nd shot is 1/8 of the photo. I then ran it through a very inexpensive noise filter (Noise Ninja) which took out the "grain" and boosted the color a tiny bit. I didn't have to but it looked average if I didn't.

This was taken in the BACK row with the KIT lens, with poor lighting .

Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:52 AM   #3

If you shoot RAW you can do a lot with the pictures during the conversion phase. For example you can modify the exposure by +/- 2 stops and you can change the white balance either a major change or fine tune. Sharpening can be applied at this stage but is better left until you have set the picture to your required print size in photoshop. In most digicams the colour saturation is tweaked the image sharpened and the white balance fixed in camera. Without these being set in the camera the DSLR shots can look disappointing when first viewed.

It's not really practical to post a 5MB RAW file for you to play with. Hopefully the attached give an idea of what is possible.

As shot first then adjusted as loaded. Don't get the idea that the as shot is the best you can get it's just to give an idea of an extreme adjustment.
Attached Images

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:56 AM   #4

Here's the adjusted pic.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2005, 9:38 PM   #5

Thanks a lot, guys for sharing images.

I understand that ability to do a lot of postprocessing is one of the advantages of DSLR, but still trying to get myself prepared and find out how big of a challenge it is.

By the way, even unprocessed images don't look scary, like some reviwes are raving about. So, given the fact that this is the only way in DSLR world , I will have to manage.

Again, thanks for sharing.

P.S. Are there any other applications for editing pictures that you are using or can recommend ? Maybe a bit simpler then Photoshop...I've been using Picasa and ACDSee.
goshik1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 2:46 AM   #6
kex

goshik1966 wrote:
Quote:

P.S. Are there any other applications for editing pictures that you are using or can recommend ? Maybe a bit simpler then Photoshop...I've been using Picasa and ACDSee.
Yes. NikonCapture is part of the D70 package. It gives you control over all RAW settings and modifications and much more but it is still easy to use and not expensive.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 3:50 AM   #7

You get Picture project with the D70 but I think it's over simplified. Nikon View is a free download once you have your camera and I use this quite a bit, although I still make a lot of use of PhotoShop.
Old May 4, 2005, 9:41 AM   #8

I think people that write bad reviews about dSLR or the D70s have not actually read the manual or understand how the camera works.

I personally think bad reviews are do to a lazy reviewer that is more suited for a Point and Shoot camera.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote