Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 7, 2005, 10:53 PM   #1

Hey experts...I want to get a nice dSLR for graduation and of course I am between the 350xt and the new D70s coming out. I am leaning towards the D70s because I like the more solid, bigger feel of the nikon. No dslr is ever going to go in your pocket so what does it matter? My two cents. =)

Anyways, I wanted to grab just the body of the camera for $850-900 and then buy a better lens separately. I want a very "multi-purpose" lens since that is the only lens I will have for awhile (until I can afford another one!). I guess what I am asking for is a good utility lens that will "do everything" but of course not excel and everything.

If it helps at all, I will shooting mostly group shots, a wedding, some landscape. Nothing too crazy, indoor/outdoor use. Thanks!
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 3:11 AM   #2

The kit lens that my D70 came with, a Nikkor 18-70 mm (28-105 digital), is an above average lens.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It really depends on whay youwant to accomplish. If you want an ultrafast lens, the 18-70 is not the best choice. But it's very reliable. Whenever I have to take "everyday" pics, I snap it on, push the mode dial into Automatic or Program mode, and get some great pics. Crips and clear and excellent colors. It's a good multipurpose lens.
TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 3:25 AM   #3

Hmmm...interesting, I guess I could always go with what they already give you...glad to hear it gives you good results. =)

Any other recommendations? Still want it to be able to fit into normal dSLR bags but maybe with more zoon, or a little faster? I really want to take some action shots of my dogs (they like to move quickly...)
Old May 8, 2005, 5:00 PM   #4

If u go canon forget the kit lense. However Nikon gives u a 300+ dollar kit lense that is very good. I would keep the kit lense and save up for a faster lense if that is what u really need.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2005, 9:52 PM   #5

Chemist, thanks good advice. Yeah, i heard the canon lens on the xt isn't so great. So, I take it, since we are in the nikon forum, that the d70s is the better way to go if I don't care about the smaller form factor of the canon?