Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 12, 2005, 7:22 AM   #1

OK, I've taken loads of advice, sold my children and bought a D2X. Reaction so far? Once you hit the top of the first bit of the learning curve, it's a great camera to use. I still hate the fact that to process RAW images you have to pay for extra software [beware someone in UK on eBay offering pirated versions of Nikon Capture 4.2-apart from the software theft angle, the disc tends not to work].

Anyone else invested and got a view?

Bill
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2005, 10:13 AM   #2

Hehe, coming from the other post in the flash forum... :-) The D2x is just an awesome machine! One thing you may consider is that Capture can be slow to process nef's, even though the results are amazing, you may want to look at Bibble for very similar results, with added features that are MUCH better than Capture, such as the highlight recovery and nearly real time adjustments of image parameters, That said, I still plan using Capture as Bibble sometimes produces weird pink artifacts in areas of the image that appear blown, and there's no drag and drop to open files Capture is better in these respects.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:31 AM   #3
DBB

Well, I've been using the D2x for a few days now, and while it's a great machine, I am very disappointed in the ISO. I own the D1x and for wildlife photography, since I shoot with a very high F stop (F10), the highest practical F-stop is ISO 500. To my disappointment, this is also true with the D2x. 800 is way to noisy for practical use in this kind of photography.

In all other respects, it seems a great machine, and since my lens is manual, I greatly appreciate the ability to manually punch in the F stop and mm, and than find that I can use the light meter. And of course the speed and buffer size are great.

As for software, I have a dual processsor 1.4 Mhz Mac and Nikons software forces me to take a least five to ten minutes to process an image BEFORE I can load into Photoshop. While I haven't used Bible, I did manage to get CS2 and the new NEF importer and instead of taking five minutes, it takes a few seconds to load an image and processing takes place as fast as I can move the sliders....

If I could only use Nikon Software, I would be selling the machine on E-Bay at a discount....:lol:

I can't imagine using Nikon's software. Since I take three or four hundred images each shoot, it would take me days to process each shoot...

Dave

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 9:06 PM   #4

Is Photoshop ever going to have a plugin to use Nikon NEF?

I sure wish I could afford the D2X.. That would be the last camera I'd ever have to buy! (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

I said the same thing when I bought an epson equity II computer in 1988 with its whopping 20mg hd.. I told my wife "there is no way I could ever fill up that hard drive - I'll never need another computer!!
Kingsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 10:02 AM   #5
DBB

Adobe already has released a plugin that supports the D2x. Unfortunatley it can only be used with the latest upgrade to Photodhop, CS2

dave
Old May 18, 2005, 9:15 PM   #6

It does. Download Adobe Camera Raw. Version 2.4 is the latest for Photoshop CS. Version 3.1 is for CS2.
AviBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 6:43 PM   #7

It would appear that the D2X suffers from the same malady that the hi pixel consumer digitals do; that is, trying to squeeze too many pixels in an APS sized sensor. They too suffer big increases in noise at higher ISO levels.

Apparently, the only work around given the current state of technology is a bigger (read full size) sensor that Nikon does not have. The Kodak SLR/n with its full size sensor might do a bit better than the D2X at higher ISO levels, but it isn't great there either. However, it is not a good field camera for wildlife shooting, althought good for landscapes.

Will Nikon produce a full size sensor DSLR, or has it conceded the high end to Canon for all time?
JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 6:59 PM   #8
DBB

Well, I made a post on this thread just to that effect.

However part of the problem appears to be in the new Adobe RAW coverter's handling of D2x files.

After I made the post above in this thread, I then, as an experiment, first converted the NEF's to DNG's (damn, these acronyms are getting out of hand) and to my surprise found that the noise problem, was considerably eased.

I'm still not thrilled, but the noise is less than on the D1x, which my first impression was that it was the same.

I anxiously wait the next release of Adobe's converter to see what will happen...

dave
Old May 23, 2005, 9:09 AM   #9

I've dowloaded and started using the Bibble Pro software referred to earlier. It's OK, but to be honest, I don't find it a lot faster than Nikon Capture 4.2. Maybe I'm too easily pleased.....

slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 5:09 AM   #10

This is kind of surprising given Popular Photography's recent review of the D2X in which they praised the low noise levels at all ISOs up to 1600 and said ISO 3200 was moderately low. (Quoting, "Noise: Extremely low from ISO 100 to 400, very low at ISO 800, low at 1600, and moderately low at ISO 3200.")

I'm not disputing your experiences, just relaying the apparent discrepancy between yours and the magazine's editors.

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Well, I've been using the D2x for a few days now, and while it's a great machine, I am very disappointed in the ISO. I own the D1x and for wildlife photography, since I shoot with a very high F stop (F10), the highest practical F-stop is ISO 500. To my disappointment, this is also true with the D2x. 800 is way to noisy for practical use in this kind of photography.

In all other respects, it seems a great machine, and since my lens is manual, I greatly appreciate the ability to manually punch in the F stop and mm, and than find that I can use the light meter. And of course the speed and buffer size are great.

As for software, I have a dual processsor 1.4 Mhz Mac and Nikons software forces me to take a least five to ten minutes to process an image BEFORE I can load into Photoshop. While I haven't used Bible, I did manage to get CS2 and the new NEF importer and instead of taking five minutes, it takes a few seconds to load an image and processing takes place as fast as I can move the sliders....

If I could only use Nikon Software, I would be selling the machine on E-Bay at a discount....:lol:

I can't imagine using Nikon's software. Since I take three or four hundred images each shoot, it would take me days to process each shoot...

Dave
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote