Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 13, 2005, 5:40 PM   #1

Hi,

Got my Nikon D70 + kit lens and what a nice camera, I upgrade from Coolpix 8700 and the speed is just mind blowing.Now I can feel I have a real camera in my hand ! :-)

I had a SB-50DX flash which I sold with the old coolpic 8700 but now I am torn between what I should buy first. Should I get a bigger zoom lens 70-200/70-300 lens but it will have to be the slower ones (f4.x) because I just can't afford anything in the f2.x range.

Or should I just get the SB-800 flash so that I can make use of the i-TTL flash modes.

I am new to SLR/DSLR photography - played a lot of the point and shoot cameras and decided to get serious and get a DSLR so I basically takes photos of family, friends and outings at this point but might want to get more serious about it later on and maybe start earning so money while doing what I love.

So taking this into account - what would the pro's recommend. If lenses -please remommend which ones. As far asthe flash goes, I guess SB-800is the best if you can affordit.

Thanks

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 12:53 PM   #2

Depends on what works of art thou wishist to paint with thy light as your paintbrush.:-) Putting myself in your place, leaning toward nature photography, I might start just saving my money for a good 2.8, rather than shell out bucks for a mediocure lense, then sell it at a loss to get the lense that will be up to the D70s'(Pop. Photo - 2004 Camera of the Year) quality level. There's one camera store in NY that is on Ebay that sells used equipment. I bought my D70 as a demo for $750 there. Not sure what the rules on this site are about telling where to get the best deals. I stuck with Tamron because their digital lenses are rated as good as Nikons at about a third the price. I currently have a 17-35 2.8 at about the same price as the D70 stock 3.5. My next lense, after trading in my N80, SB50, was a Tamron 200-500. Now just need a good macro. Wait for the good stuff and you won't be sorry. While waiting, memorizing all the bells and whistles on the D70 should keep you out of trouble, unless you're aiming at the neighbors wife. snicker snicker. In asking several professionals, I was told to get the SB800. the extra power and capabilities of it warrent its purchase first, with the SB600 as slave units controlled by the SB800. Hope this helps. Happy snappin to ya.
P.S. On your point of mabey getting serious. I doubt if anyone will take you serious if you don't have quality lenses. It'll cost you less to buy the good lense, rather than a so so lense, then the good one, via trade in. IMHO only.
Yamahauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 1:58 PM   #3

Appreciate the feedback, yes am starting to learn the differences between a good lens and and so so lens. At first I thought it was just a speed issue.

Do you still have your stock lens as well to fill the gap between your 17-35 2.8 and the new lens you want to buy Tamron 200-500. Wow up to 500 zoom, I am sure you can get yourself in a lot of trouble what that zoom :lol:

Thanks

Jaco
Old May 30, 2005, 10:15 AM   #4

As was said, a lot depends on what you want to shoot and your priorities.

The current 70-300/4-5.6 is a nice small and light lens, but it isn't FAST (nor EXPENSIVE and big) like the pro series 2.8 lenses. This can be very important if you travel. The extra weight and size of a bigger lense can be hard on a long trip. Remember you can always set the ISO up to 1600 to compensate for the slower lens.

I personally was looking for the smaller 70-210 but opted for the 75-300. I like the older push-pull zooms. If had the cash, the 70-200 VR is a great lens, but at $1,600 + tax...ouch.

My next purchase is the flash.

If however, I was doing say wedding photography or other similar, I would get the flash first.

gud luk
Gary
garyac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:33 PM   #5

I just got a d70 and I bought the sb600 flash. The 800 was appealing because of the higher guide number but so far I have not regretted the 600. The one big limitation is that it cannot control other flashes as the 800 can, but as I only have the one flash, that's OK. If I want to get into multiple flashes, then my next one can be the 800. You save a couple of hundred bucks in the process.

I have both a 80 200 f2.8 and a 70 300 4-5.6 lens. I tend to use the 70 to 300 for daily shooting needs as it is light and travels well. When I am in need of real speed, then I bring my 200 out. Its heavy and more cumbersome, but a joy to use. In all, I would say that I use the 70 300 lots more, but when I need the extra speed I really like the 200. It comes down to what you do and how often you need that kind of speed.
ericsvendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:12 AM   #6

In my humble opinion, if you are a newcomer to SLR/dSLR, start by fully understanding and using the 18-70 mm kit lens and only then start thinking about better lenses or zooms. The kit lens is a very good all-purpose zoom and quite appropriate for learning the basics of SLR photography.

Concerning the flash it is clear that you'll need one, either the SB600 or the SB800, as the pop-up flash is not a viable option if you want to get serious about taking pictures. I'd say take the step and invest now in a SB800, even if you'll not take full advantage of it's capabilities for now. But it's a good investment for the future if you want to get pro.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:57 AM   #7

Hi, jaco!

Congratulations!

D70 is really great.

As for lens - the first thing you need is a 50 mm nikkor.

You have a choice between a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D and a Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4 D

They are fast, light, cheap and very high quality.

The difference is: 1,8 - the sharpest, but a bit worser for portrait

the 1,4 is a bit faster but more expensive.

Any of this lens gives you a chance to shot indoors without a flash.(feel the difference)

The next thing you"ll need (if you plan shooting nature, landscapes, interior) is a good tripod - do not spend money for cheap and light ones - they are of no use. You need a Manfrotto, os similar. It is a rather heavy stuff, but in other way you'll need a pro-level fast lens, which are twice heavier ans 10 times more expencive.

Dmitry.
Dmitry M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:09 AM   #8

Dmitry M. wrote:
Quote:
As for lens - the first thing you need is a 50 mm nikkor.

I'd argue with that for a beginner. The first thing he needs is to learn how to take pictures at normal focal length, which in Nikon's case would be a 35 mm Nikkor (the 35 mm f/2D AF). The two 50 mm lenses you mention are both great lenses for the value but are 75 mm digital equivalent.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:15 AM   #9

****The first thing he needs is to learn how to take pictures at normal focal length,

You are absolutelyright.

The best thing tostudySLR camear- to learn with a real 50mm. which, with a crp factor gives about 35mm

But D70 have a rather good standart zoom, which cover the 35mm. So it won't be bad to fixthe zoom on 35mm and

On the other hand -- If jaco would like to experiment with portrait the 50mm (75 on D70) would give him a perfect, fast, portrait lens.

Of course if jaco wants to became a professional, it is importaint to go step by step.

But for amateur it could be a bit dull to spend several months just learning how to shot with normal focal lengh.
Dmitry M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:12 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input guys. I went ahead and bought the SB-800 speedlight and so far I am very happyI did, it really makes a huge difference been able to use the iTLL modes, which I could not with an older SB-50DX. Since I am already spending the money I figured might as well spend the extra $90 bucks for the SB-800 rather than then SB-600, it might come in handy later on.

I also got the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and a Sigma 70-300 mm APO Micro lenses. I am very happy with my purchases and still learning, think I got a lot better by just playing around. As I get better I will probably know what my needs are and the invest in a decent f2.8 lens which with replace my kit lens. Think I got enough to get me started.

I also have a manfrotto tripod which I used with my video camera, nice but heavy if you want to travel with it or walk around with it, so I also got a Silk Sprint Pro as well which is light to carry with me when I travel.

Jaco