Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 14, 2005, 1:16 AM   #1

Does anyone know why my D2x files open in PhotoShop as 9X14 inch images at 300 dpi ?

Support from Nikon say they should open at 72 dpi.

Marc
Marc Furth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2005, 8:06 AM   #2
DBB

In your photoshop preferences you can tell photoshop to open images in whatever dpi you choose. You must have done this. Photoshop doesn't care what the source of the image is...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 9:17 AM   #3

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply but I'm still very confused.

I have not change any of the file handling preferences within Photo Shop .

When I open one of my compact flash cards from my Fuji S2 pro the images open at 72 dpi and the image size is 59.111 x 39.556 inches. Now same settings within Photo Shop open from a different compact flash card from my D2x open at 300 dpi at 14.294 x 9.493 inches, am I missing something ?

Marc
Old May 14, 2005, 10:02 AM   #4
DBB

Maybe, or maybe I am...:?:

However, what kind of images are you shooting with the D2x? If they are NEFS, than you are loading them from the program/module called Bridge.

Bridge has on the bottom it's own dpi setting. And this setting is determined by the user accroding to the camera being used.

I assume (whoa is me) that from the Fuji you are bypassing this?

So clarify matters such as file format, source, ect...

Dave
Old May 14, 2005, 10:34 AM   #5

Hi Dave,

My D2x settings are,

Image quality...jpeg fine

Image size...large

Jpeg compression..optimal quality

Raw compression...off

Color space...adobe RGB

Thanks for the help,

Marc
Old May 14, 2005, 12:01 PM   #6
DBB

Hi Marc

Ok, the answer is very simple and elementary. I don't know what I'm talking about...:-)

However, first try this. Whether CS1 or 2, go to preferences and select "Units and rullers."

Change the sellection to what you like. Than create a new file and in the dialogue that opens once again select the appropriate dpi. Quit photoshop, restart it and see what happens.

Apparently these prederence dialogues affect only "new documents."

Ok, so much for what I DON'T know about.

Keep in mind that the display dpi is an almost meaningless number. Notice that as you raise the dpi the printed page shrinks and the opposite. In other words, this is a display mode, your image is still the same number of pixels that you selected for the size of the image in the D2x camera dialogue.

When you are reasy to print, or send these images to a publisher (and publishers usually want 300 dpi) you can change it then

If you do use NEF, you can set the dpi in the Raw importer. Only CS2 allows the option of importing D2x images.

dave
Old May 15, 2005, 8:51 AM   #7

Thanks Dave,

But no luck as you have suggested.

I guess I'll live with it as long as it's not effecting my final output image size ?

I'm looking to make very large prints, about 24x36 inch or larger if possible.

I was worried that I'm starting with a smaller image and up sampling to a larger size will effect the final quality of the print. It does however look like the pixel dimensions are correct.

Marc
Old May 15, 2005, 10:52 AM   #8
DBB

Hi marc

This is important - and in this case I know what I'm talking about. You can also go to Photoshop help, look in the index for "dpi," and it will confirm what I'm saying.

The "display" dpi is just what it says it is - for display.

Your actualy image size is the same.

Now if you take a look at the "Image Size Option" in Photoshop, you will see that there are a number of ways to change the actual size of the image.

This is the "resampling" option. If resampling is checked "ON," than changing the dpi, or the size in inches, WILL change the actual size of the image. If resampling is "OFF" than you are just changing the printable size of the image.

I must admit, that since I've known this, I've really not paid much attention. I really thought you could change this arbitrary and meaningless display option in the preferences. I was wrong.

But it still doesn't mean anything!

dave