Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 15, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1

Anyone, please help! Two books that I have for my D70 say that I can get a wider gamut of color if I set my camera to the 'Adobe RGB' color space.

Quote from one book: "Note: With this color mode there is a tendency for colors to look dull when displayed on a computer monitor, its full benefits will not be revealed until you make a print."

I took 3 pics of a color chart using different color spaces in the camera (there are 3 choices for color space---Mode Ia [sRGB], Mode II [Adobe RGB], and Mode IIIa [sRGB-enhanced green and blue for nature). Thepic that had the 'Adobe RGB' setting does look dull when view on screen as the book says it should, but when I printed them out on my Canon PIXMA i4000 printer, the printout is JUST AS DULL. The printouts look exactly the same as viewed on screen.

P.S. All 3 pics had the same lighting, exposure, white balance---EVERYTHING except the color space setting.

See the attachment below. Notice the dullness of the reds, oranges, and a little bit of the yellows in the 'Adobe RGB' pic.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Attached Images

JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 9:38 PM   #2

There is no problem. Adobe RGB is dull when viewed on screen. This color mode is normally for professional use since it has a wider color gamut. Far wider than your Canon printer can reveal. Think of it as an unprocessed RAW file. In this mode, greater color changes and enhancements can be made than the other color modes. Usethis mode if you like to color adjust your images, but they must be printed professionally.
1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:57 AM   #3

What profile did you use to print? I find with my Canon printers current and past (i8500, i9100, S900, i965, S9000, S800, BJC8200) that the Canon canned profile prints brighter than if I use AdobeRGB as the printing profile. You might want to experiment a bit.
I've found the Canon profiles give reasonably consistent prints across the different priinters, but the i965 I hated. It gave prints that were waaay too saturated. I ended up changing the printing profile to the one that came with the Colorvision monitor profiler and the prints were much more acceptable then.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 7:09 PM   #4

wingnut1 wrote:
Quote:
What profile did you use to print? I find with my Canon printers current and past (i8500, i9100, S900, i965, S9000, S800, BJC8200) that the Canon canned profile prints brighter than if I use AdobeRGB as the printing profile. You might want to experiment a bit.
I've found the Canon profiles give reasonably consistent prints across the different priinters, but the i965 I hated. It gave prints that were waaay too saturated. I ended up changing the printing profile to the one that came with the Colorvision monitor profiler and the prints were much more acceptable then.
Thanks for replying.

I was using the printer profiles that came with the printer. After I posted, I thought that I would try AdobeRBB. That was horrible!!!

I now removed the printer profiles and set the printer preferences differently. I changed the color adjustment from Auto to Manual and checked the'Enable ICM'. It's much improved!!!
JerryF is offline   Reply With Quote