Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 16, 2005, 1:31 AM   #1

I have had my tripod for ages, but time marches on and some of you are far more up to date than me. Firstly, I know there is a tripod section but I think that far more people look here than there. Having now obtained the 20/400 F4 lens (nearly £2,000 cheaper from Ebay than the dealers, but that's another story) I am looking for a good monopod. I am sure some of you use them, so suggestions would be most appreciated. It has to be light but strong enough to carry the above lens with the D70.

Thanking you in advance
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2005, 9:33 AM   #2
DBB

My Back-up monopode is the Pro-pod 381 made by slik.

It will carry double your set-up and then some...

The monopode that I actually use is not much better, but is "warmer" in the winter because of better insultation on the hand grip. That is the reason I use it over the Slik. Otherwise, more or less the same. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is except it was made by a famous Italian company. I can't read the label.

Both pods are made out of carbon, both ran me around 100 bucks American at B&H Photo

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 10:27 AM   #3

I use the Manfrotto 681 with the 234rc quick release head.

I find it is long and solid enough, but any maker that is solid and long enough for you would work well. I keep mentioning solid because I have another monopod by optix that the sections wobbles at each joint.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 10:54 AM   #4
DBB

Hi PeterP

That name rings a bell! Probably the same brand that I use.

But tell me, why do you use a head?

Why not just screw the monopode into the camera or lens? There's no advantage to a head with a monopode. They're useful only with tripods. And they weigh more than the monopode itself!

dave

Old May 16, 2005, 11:15 AM   #5

With the Manfrotto I have you almost need to add a head of some sort, camera canattach directly to it, but it is not easy to use.

What I gotgives you the quick release. It also flops over and lets you put use the camera vertically. It isvery small and weighs next to nothing.

Peter

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 11:52 AM   #6
DBB

:blah:

I used to use a tripod with my D1x, Sigma 50-500 lens. Then I said, "what the hell, I'm missing all these shots, let me try it without, just using a monopod. Well, it took some geting used to, the whole shebang weighed a ton. Then one day, as I was getting used to occasionally lifting the whole mess up into the air, I realised that the head was just extra weight. And I compared the weight of the head to the pod, the head weighed more!

True it doesn't weigh much, but with this type of shooting it made a differnce. I now shoot with a scope on my monopod and have the 50-500 screwed onto my backup.

It makes a difference...

Dave
Old May 16, 2005, 1:21 PM   #7

I use a Gitzo 1588 CF monopod, very solid, I guess it's more monopod than I really need, given I only use it with my 70-200. And it wasn't cheap... I should've looked into Manfrottos too. But it's very well made and has rubber insulation for the hands for holding in cold weather too. The pod sections use a twist lock/unlock method and are air dampened, which is nice.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 3:04 PM   #8
DBB

Well I got a monopod to let myself take images of birds in flight. The less weight the better! Even an ounce here and there can make a difference.

And when I lean on it, it neither bends nor shakes.

So, I bought the best I could get. And it does make a difference!

Dave