Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 21, 2005, 11:57 AM   #11
Administrator

DBB wrote:
Quote:
My understanding of this problem is that the story broke because of comments by Nikon.

But, as the story moved on it became apparent they they were not the only one's doing this, in fact the majority of the industry was engaged in this practice.

So, to oppose it, one is going to have to do more than just pick Nikon out of the barrel, and boycott them...
Actually,the storybroke because of comments fromThomas Knoll (Adobe) made in a forum about it.

Nikon was then on the defensive.

Yes... I don't like it that Nikon was singled out (when other manufacturers have done the same thing in the past).

I have been very vocal about that part in many of my posts. Itwas not fair to Nikon the way this story was covered.

In fact, I moved an existing thread I started on the subject to the General Forum, and even went into specific portions of metadata being encrypted by Canon in some of their Powershot Models within the thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...d=2&page=1

I also started brand new threads in forums on many other photography sites, pointing out that it's not just Nikon doing it. Of course, Thomas Knoll put his own "spin" on it (that IMO defended Canon since their encryption is weaker and they're not doing it in newer DSLR models), and I didn't like that part either.

I don't plan on buying any camera with any portion of it's metadata encrypted from any manufacturer. Period.

The sad part, is that my wife is shooting with a Nikon 35mm SLR, and now that the costs have come down on newer entry level models, I was going to buy her a DSLR (Nikon of course, since she already has lenses).

Now, that decision is being postponed indefinitely (because of this issue). It's my understanding (based on user reports of correspondence with some of the regional Nikon distributors) that the new D50 will also encrypt portions of the metadata.

Hopefully, Nikon will change it's mind before the product starts shipping.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 12:10 PM   #12
DBB

Well I must say that Nikon appears to be running a bit scared on this and that makes them vulnerable. My letter to them was quite angry in tone (although family friendly :-) )

And their reply was VERY defensive. I'm sure your writing, more or less what you wrote to me in this reply, will have an effect if enough poeple do the same.

They can't possibly make enough profit out of encrypting as they will lose if even five percent of future buyers say NO!

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 12:26 PM   #13
Administrator

DBB wrote:
Quote:
Well I must say that Nikon appears to be running a bit scared on this and that makes them vulnerable. My letter to them was quite angry in tone (although family friendly :-) )

And their reply was VERY defensive. I'm sure your writing, more or less what you wrote to me in this reply, will have an effect if enough poeple do the same.

They can't possibly make enough profit out of encrypting as they will lose if even five percent of future buyers say NO!
I don't know what will happen.

IfNikon decides to go forward with encryption in the newer D50, it could become a bigger issue (because of the number of cameras being shipped in this market niche).

On the other hand, many consumers may not care about "as shot" White Balance in RAW files (especially if Adobe and Nikon come to some sort of arrangement over it). They may not share my distaste of encryption, either (and how I feel it can stifle competition).

Users of entry level models are less likely to shoot in RAW anyway.

Hopefully (at least from my point of view), Nikon will end up backing down because of the negative publicity over it.

But, they may not like being pushed into a corner over this thing either, and "stick to their guns". After all, they did release a long winded "Advisory" with their point of view defending this practice (which IMO did more harm than good, especially when it comes to "saving face" later if they change their mind).

Time will tell.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote