Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 20, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1

I just bought a d70 and have some raw (pun) questions.

I understand that the RAW mode gives better latitute than jpeg mode, but here's my question. For most practical purposes, you don't leave the shot as RAW because its a pain, you must convert it into jpeg or tiff or some other such beast. When you make the conversion, don't you loose all that glorious extra lattitude? I imagine the only real benefit then to RAW is that you can play with wb and exposure and the like until you get the detail you want then save it in one of these formats. Any thoughts?

Is raw worth the extra effort/reduced storage space, or is it more of a pain than its worth? My guess is that it would be best to shoot jpeg unless I am in a situation where latitude really counts or wb is all over the place because of mixed lighting issues. What do you think?

Thanks for any input.
ericsvendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2005, 7:03 AM   #2

I always shoot RAW because I think that gets the best possible results from the camera. It's a much discussed subject with people on both sides of the debate. I suggest you look at this thread.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...;highlight=raw
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I am looking forward to trying the RAW mode once I get my camera. My s1 pro doesn't have that feature, and it will be good trying it. If the nikon raw processing software isn't great, I might give the free one mentioned a shot. I don't suppose there is a plug in for ps elements II or III that will allow me to import direct to photoshop - probably only in the cs version which I am not about to buy.

www.ericspix.com

thanks. Eric
Old May 21, 2005, 1:24 PM   #4

Nikon provide a PS plugin with Picture Project which comes with the camera. There's a free dwonload on the Nikon site of Nikon View which IMHO is much better than the suppled Picture Project.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 6:30 PM   #5

You don't throw away your negatives or slides once you print them. Likewise, never delete the RAW files, even when converted to jpg or whatever.
JOHNCHAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 6:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I always keep my original files untouched, and anything I work on I save as a different name/format/size for whatever purpose I need. I think I am about to really appreciate my DVD burner, now that I will be taking larger files. My gig cf card gets about 450 jpegs but only about 60 tiffs, so I guess it well make about 100 - 140 raw images. Makes one want a bigger card. I wonder if there will come a day when a terrabyte seems like not very much space?
Old May 25, 2005, 1:13 PM   #7

If you want to edit the D70 Nefs in Elements, just copy the Niikon Nef plug-in that comes with Nikon View anc copy it to the plugins>file formats folder in Elements. You will then be able to open Nefs in Elements.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:51 AM   #8

I loaded picture project on my computer (mac 0S 10.3) and put the plug in into photoshop elements. Elements reads the raw file with no problem. However, I must say that I am not thrilled with the level of control. I envisioned a lot more control over white balance, instead it gives me 7 or so preset channels to choose from, no custom capabilities. The exposure adjuster I could see being useful, although I haven't tested its metal yet. My intial feeling is that raw isn't all that great, but like I say, I haven't given it a real test yet.