Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2005, 2:13 AM   #1

Wow Steve!

I read a lot on the web about some people having focusing issues, and complaints about the WB encryption, but everyone has (to my knowledge) agreed that the noise has been managed very well, and I mean by people with a lot more credentials/knowledgethan I have. I've certainly had no issues with noise that I hadn't expected at higher ISOs and even thenthe noise has been much more acceptable (to me) as it seemsmonochromatic instead ofred, blue and green dots.

I wish you would have posted some examples of it, so I could see if I could duplicate it.

Also, it states in the manual that menu choices can affect the actual number of shots that thebuffer can hold, (like the noise reduction settings) Which may explain why you were short a couple of shots.

-Steve
sfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:10 AM   #2
DBB

Hi Steve

I've been using this camera for about two weeks and I can say that Steves review is right on the money in every respect.

First, on the issue of WB and focusing. There was something I read on the WEB of all thses complaints coming from one batch of cameras. A serial number was given for people to look out for. Sorry, since my camerqa did not have that code, I simply breathed a sigh of relief and moved on.

The issue of encryptation is a factor in most digital camera manufacturers and is not really relevant to a review...

I love this camera, I am aweed by the resolving power and it's detail, and it's ease of use in the field. but I was greatly disappointed that the noise level was only slightly better than that of My D1x.

Despite the noise I woulkd recomend it to anyone. As for the buffer question, I've never had an opporturtunity to test that, as I've never yet filled the buffer. The write speed is amazing.

Once again, it's a great review.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:10 AM   #3

Yeah, it's a great review but on the Canon XT, 20D and also 1Ds Mark IIsome noise isvisible inshadowsat Iso 200, I'll put some100% crops at nightto prove what Im saying....whydidnt Steve mention it???

Anyway, good job Steve

Best Regards,

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4
DBB

You can do me a big favor with this question. I didn't buy the 1ds, mainly because of all the Nikon glass I own. To switch to Canon would have cost me an extra 7K.

I was, and still am, under the impression that Canon's in general have less noise. Is this true? I don't know of any direct comparisons.

If you have both, you can make me feel a lot better by showing the noise levels are similar. :lol:

dave
Old Jun 1, 2005, 1:18 PM   #5

Im really sorry but I can not afford two DSRLs (but I'd like to)....I'll just post some 100% crops frompictures that I took when I had the XT for a couple of days.....and others posted on this site and also at Dpreview.com

Thats all,

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:11 AM   #6

Hi there DBB. You've got me all worried now: can you point us in the direction of the website with the serial numbers on it?
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:14 AM   #7

Bother, forgot to ask this in my last post:

Steve mentions that there are a number of alternative focussing screens available. Is there one with gridded lines and if so, what is it's name and number. [Yes I have looked in the manual, and no, I can't find the answer there].
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:09 AM   #8
DBB

slioch wrote:
Quote:
Hi there DBB. You've got me all worried now: can you point us in the direction of the website with the serial numbers on it?
If you haven't had problems by now, then yours isn't the one. If you're going to buy one NOW, they're no longer out there.

It's ALWAYS stupid to buy from the first batch of cameras. Don't feel insulted, I'm calling myself stupid....

But apparently I got lucky and didn't get one of the early buggy ones....

While I've only had the camera a few weeks, it's taken three thousand images without a glitch...

dave
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:12 AM   #9
DBB

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
Im really sorry but I can not afford two DSRLs (but I'd like to)....I'll just post some 100% crops from pictures that I took when I had the XT for a couple of days.....and others posted on this site and also at Dpreview.com

Thats all,

I just saw some comparison shots of the D2x and the Mark II IDs, they compare favoribly, with the Mark II having a meaningless edge. I find this VERY reassuring...

So I saved money and still got the right camera...

I've never owned a Canon, although I've used some belonging to other people, and not the really high end ones.

I remain both disappointed that agter four years the noise isn't THAT much better than the D1x, but quite prepared to live with this...

The camera is in all other respects awesome...

Dave
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:57 PM   #10

I keep coming across references to a batch of D2X with focus/wb problems. Can someone point me towards the serial numbers affected so I can work out whether I have a problem with my camera or with my technique? PLEASE?