Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:14 PM   #1

I just found a D2X body only as an import through a place called Digital Liquidators for $1979!!!

I called and confirmed the price and found out that is the import version vs. the USA version. Apparently it comes with nothing bu the body. No cables, no manual, no warranty. Does anyone think it is worth giving up those things to save $3000?

Of course I'll have to spend several hundrend for bateries, charges and whatever else I need to get started with is but that seems like an awesome way to finally get my hands on the D2X.

Please advise:?:
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:49 PM   #2

Suggest you look here for your answer. These seem to be the same type of rip-off merchants colloquially known as Brooklyn scumbags as Steve calls them. There are number of outfits offering the basic camera without even a battery, then they charge you over the odds for things that should be included. Look here for the reasons:-

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--31428.html

and here:-

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375.html

If you have any sense after reading that lot you'll stay away. Six month rating 0.29 compared to B&H at 8.77 and 17th St. Photo at 10.0. It seems that their rating will drop to a negative one if that ispossible the way they are going! You are heading for heartbreak here. Always remember, if the price is too good to be true it is just that!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:07 PM   #3

That's what I was afraid of. Thak you for your speedy response. I'll wait a while longer and save up the extra money before I buy the D2X.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:12 PM   #4
Administrator

I think you'll find it unlikely that you could get one at that price, despite the lack of warranty, etc.

These prices usually assume you're going to buy lots of overpriced extras, with high shipping charges, extended warranties, etc. If you refuse to buy the extras, your camera will probably go to backorder status.

I would avoid theBrooklyn based scam artists.

BTW, even if you do find a good deal on a grey market Nikon, Nikon USA will refuse to service it, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. This is done to discourage the practice of grey market imports. Nikon Canada has a similar policy (they will refuse to service a Nikon camera that was not intended for sale in Canada).

So, if it breaks, you could be stuck (unless you want to believe the salespeople on how good their 3rd party warranties are on a camera that Nikon won't service). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:39 PM   #5

Thanks Jim for your input. I've purchased computer equipment online and mail ordr for years but new to the camera market.

Thanks also for clearing up the Grey Market issue. I think I would rather have a product I can get serviced 'cause we all know sh&% happens :-)

I am so glad I found this forum. You guys are just great!!!
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:05 AM   #6
DBB

You can get a legitimate Gray Body machine, with everything for about $3500. But what is a legitimate gray market machine. When the camera breaks, no matter how minor, you will not be able to get repairs either from Nikon of their authorised service centers.

So you will be spending money on a "leased camera," that will have to be thrown away at the first signifigant problem.

Poor economy....

NOw many legitimate stores will NOT see gray market cameras, but WILL sell gray market lenses and provide their OWN guarrantee.

In my opinion this is not a moral issue. Companies like Nikon (and all the rest, why pick on Nikon?) could easily stop Gray market sales. They don't because they make money on it, no matter what happens.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:32 PM   #7

Again - thanks for the enlightenment :?

As a result of you fine people steering me away from a potentially very bad purchase, I decided to get the lenses I had been wanting instead. I just ordered the Nikon 24-120 VR and the Nikon 70-200 VR. I can't wait till they get here. I have me first real job in a couple of weeks shooting a 2 year old daughter of a friend of mine on the beach in Monterey, CA. That is kind of why I was so excited about getting the D2X, but these lenses with my D70 should do a wonderful job.

Thanks again for all of the informative feedback to my original question
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:32 PM   #8

In response to DBB I can, though, well understand people buying grey market equipment. For the life of me I cannot understand Nikon's pricing policy, because as it is there will continue to be a grey market for the forseeable future.

OK, finding equipment on Ebay you expect a saving, but when the Nikkor 200/400 sells in registered US dealers for around $5,000 and in the UK for over $8,100 it is cheaper to fly to New York, spend a couple of days there, buy the lens and come back! The D2X is $6,300 in a UK dealer yet $5,000 in New York, the 17/55 F2.8 is nearly $500 cheaper and even the SB 800 flash about $130 cheaper. The 70/200 likewise $800 cheaper.

So, if I were changing to digital now or upgradingand wanted the best, a quick flight to NY could save one heck of a lot of money and I have to say that in over 20 years I have never hadthe slightestproblem with my Nikon equipment. A saving of around $6,000 is highly persuasive! And yes, I did buy my 200/400 from Hong Kong at a saving of $2,700, delivered to my door, as also I bought the polarising filter, the TC14 and the TC20. The filter alone, for goodness sake, was over $100 cheaper than in Europe. When and if I decide to get a D2X I shall take a trip to see 17th St Photo or B&H and to hell with the warranty - I can always post the camera to Nikon USA if needs be.

If anyone can explain this to me I would be eternally grateful. I know the $ has fallen over the last year or so but this difference is colossal.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:45 AM   #9
DBB

I have no moral argument about buying Gray market products. And we might as well drop Nikon from this topic - They ALL do it!

If they wanted to, they could easily end the gray market business. All of these serial numbers should tell them which distributor is violating their rules.

The fact is that they make money on the gray market stuff and then save money by not honoring the warrantty...:evil:

But, I for one would not want to send my camera via the post, to another country because some stupid thing went wrong. All of my cameras have needed service for one thing or another. Moreover a lens is a far more reliable and simpler gadget than a camera. So for example B&H, a reliable store, will NOT sell gray market cameras, BUT will sell gray market lenses and give their OWN Warranty.

They can find someone to fix the lens, but Nikon doesn't even release parts to its own authorised repair people.

All of these policies, AND the policies you mention, are carefully calculated to maximise profits.

I believe this should be illeagal, since these companies, as I said, could put a stop to it.

Dave

DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:11 AM   #10
Administrator

I don't pretend to know much about economics. But, part of the problem with higher prices is likely to be things like tariffs and taxes.

The prices you see quoted in the U.S. don't include any sales tax. But, sales tax is typically a relatively low rate compared to the European VAT structure in most U.S. areas.

Instead, we have much higher income taxes in the U.S.

I'd be complaining to politicians about the pricing in Europe if I were you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote