Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:45 AM   #11

...incredible pics u got...those undrewater pics of sea animals are gorgeous... i love to take pictures of the sea both under and up....

...i wonder how you took those pics as close as that...MOST FISHES RUN away when u approach them...have u been to philippines..great islands there..lot of coral reefs and fishes....
BLAZEPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:18 AM   #12

Mostly with the underwater pics it's down to patience and a slow approach. Some fish such as the clown fish are terratorial so don't back away or if they do they come back and occasionally attack.

For the close up shots I use macro lenses a 50mm in poor conditions and a 100mm where the visibilty is good.

Never been to the Phillipines, one day maybe.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 6:26 AM   #13

///OH Ic...THANKS again for the tip....

...got another ques.(if you may)....in shooting macro whats the best mm to get the most closer pics, more detail...is it at the lower no. ..whats the closest macro lens anyway...im refring when shoting at land insects....

HOPE Someday u can visit Phil...really Great Beaches...Tropical Country... u may want to go to Tubbataha Reef. it's a protected reef... they are undesturbed...the place is guarded, so it is an untouched nature....^_^
Old Jun 9, 2005, 4:00 PM   #14

The important thing is to get a decent macro lens. You should be looking for a lens with a 1:1 close focus setting. At 1:1 the size of the subject is the same as the size of the sensor. This means with a D70 you are shooting an area of 23.7 x 15.6 mm. For shooting insects on land I would look at a lens about 105mm focal length both Nikon and Sigma make one. This gives you a bit more working distance than a 50 mm or 60 mm lens. There are some longer lenses labelled as macro which may suit but many do not have a true macro 1:1 setting. If is is 1:2 or 1:3 as many are then you are photographing an twice or three times the area of your sensor. This makes it impossible to fill the frame with a really small subject. A lens that can focus at 1:1 can also shoot at 1:2 1:3 1:4 ... all the way out to infinity.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 7:56 PM   #15

...is that a macro zoom lens...so 105 lens can do macro and zoom shots? it means when want to shoot at macro and and landscape u dnt have to change lenses...is thats the case it'll be a great lens ayt...

...im confused at taking picz at nightshot. the word...exposure time...does it mean the time you have to wait b4 taking the subject so the sensor can adjust lights and others....longer exposures, are they better....

wat does F2.8-5.6 mean smaller or bigger no better...

...I bet D70 can capture great light at nightshots ayt....i read a review about D70s. think not much of a diff. on D70...

Upgrades:
[*]Faster autofocus system [/*][*]Larger LCD display (2.0" vs 1.8") [/*][*]Built-in flash has a wider working range [/*][*]New wired remote control port [/*][*]Improved battery life (due mostly to the new EN-EL3a battery) [/*][*]Refined menu system [/*]
...U THINK NIKON OR CANON is going 2 realese new model of SLR...really scares me 2 buy now, then after a month another new comes out with better capability....so i cant dcide yet....

...sorry for the querry men, your a big help, helps me 2 understand wat im reading on the reviews since i still dnt have a book....THANKS...
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:12 AM   #16

You really need to get that book.

The macro lenses I suggested are not zoom lenses. Most macro zoom lenses do not do 1:1 (I'm not actually aware of any that do but others may know better). You can use them as a normal prime lens or at very close focus.

F stops are the size of the aperture which control the light getting into the lens. Which aperture you use determines what shutter speed (exposure time) you can use. The largest apertures have the smallest numbers. The best zoom lenses have a constant maximum aperture thoughout the zoom range may have a smaller maximum aperture at the longer end on the zoom. F2.8-5.6 means that the aperture is F2.8 at the wide end of the zoom and F5.6 at the long end of the zoom. Choice of aperture also controls depth of field. The D70s is an upgraded D70 rather than a brand new camera. The firmware update for the D70 implements many of the D70s improvements.

As for nightshot I don't use any of the preset options. Program mode works fine and you have more control. Long exposures just mean leaving the shutter open long enough to allow the dim lights to register. Time between shots is the same unless you have noise reduction switched on in which case thepost processing take time.

Nikon and Cannon will continue to bring out new, better cameras year on year just as Intel bring out new faster processors year on year. You have to decide when the technology is good enough for you, buy the camera and get out taking pictures. If you're waiting for the ultimate digital camera you'll never own one.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:51 AM   #17

yah ur rite ill never gonna own 1 if i keep on waiting...D70s is probably good for me...

have u tried the nikon's DigiScoping...I think its Great...can mount both slr and coolpix...

http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/how_t...tep2/index.htm

what do u think will it take a good shot.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:51 AM   #18

yah ur rite ill never gonna own 1 if i keep on waiting...D70s is probably good for me...

have u tried the nikon's DigiScoping...I think its Great...can mount both slr and coolpix...

http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/how_t...ep2/camera.htm

what do u think will it take a good shot.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:55 AM   #19

Not tried digiscoping, not really my area of interest.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:06 PM   #20

...OH OK....

whats the longest range of telepoto lens that nikon had. i mean longest mm of their telephoto.....

THANKS!