Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2005, 4:34 PM   #1

[align=left]...Hi guys Im planning to have my 1st SLR... considering CANON and NIKON as a choice...read some reviews but i cant understand other terms used.[/align]
[align=left]...I was hoping you could help me to understand what this things meEAN:[/align]
[align=left]Shooting Speed: 3.0fps?:?[/align]
[align=left]BurstRate:4ConsecutiveFrames?:?[/align]
[align=left]ShutterSpeed:30sec.1/4000?:?[/align]
[align=left]ISO: 1600 ?:?[/align]
[align=left]Point Area AF ?:?[/align]
[align=left][/align]

THANKS IN ADVANCE HOPE CAN GET ANSWERS...:-)
BLAZEPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:04 PM   #2

shooting speed 3fps- that means that it is capable of shooting 3 pictures in 1 second when holding the shutter release down . this rate will depend on how yu have the camera set up.

burst rate 4 consecutive frames- this means that ther is enough buffer memory to allow you to shoot 4 images before it must stop and transfer those images to you memory card.

shutter 30sec to 1/4000- this is the range that the time of the shutter open/close duration.

iso 1600- this is the relative sensetivity level of the imager (sensor) it usual starts at 100 and goes up in steps to 1600 or higher. the larger the number the higher the sensetivity but this has an effect on image quality and dynamic range.

point area AF- the autofocus areas is a point type that can generally be moved around the image area to a certain extent through multiple points thus controlling where to focus on.

now if you really have to ask about these you better back off a little and start reading up and learning because you will not be satisfied with the results you'll get without that knowledge. there is a substantial difference between a SLR and a point and shoot in the way they work and how the images will turn out.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:36 PM   #3

...THANKS for the info...really appreciate it...i want to take pictures of birds and sunsets...do i need high shutter speed, like 1/8000 or just fine with 1/4000...higher Shutter Sp. is specialy used for what sample of subject...

...And 3fps ok or higher?

Really got to have sum knowledge nout this THANKS AGAIN!
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:03 AM   #4

I really think you would be advised to buy a good book on photography before buying a DSLR. The fact that you are asking these questions shows a very limited knowledge of photography and asking questions on a forum is not the best way to learn. The forum is better suited to filling gaps in your learning when you have already learnt the rudiments and practised your photography.

The problem with answering your questions is that I can only generalise. In practise I would meter the scene and decide what shutter speed and aperture combination to used based on my knowledge of the effect this would have on the result and what I was trying to achieve. I would say that if you asked 100 different photographers what setting to use for a particular scene you would get 100 different answers.

So bearing in mind that it is only my opinion and a broad generalisation here are my answers to your questions.

You will not need continous shooting mode to photograph sunsets and unlikely to use it photographing birds, maybe useful if photographing birds in flight, so 3fps is fine.

For shooting sunsets you are more likely to use shutter speeds at the slower end probably anything from around 1/15 with a tripod and probably no more than 1/250 also for shooting birds depending on the focal length of your lens anything from 1/60 upwards and probably never need to go above 1/1000. Bear in mind that as a rule of thumb you can handhold a lens at the reciprocal of the focal length so a 50 mm lens can be handheld at 1/60 a 200 mm at 1/250 and a 400 mm at 1/400.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:25 PM   #5

....SALAMAT! (means thank you!)...I'LL YOUR ADVICE ON BUYING A DSLR BOOK...ANY BOOK YOU RECOMMEND....THANKS AGAIN...t'is SITE'S REALLY HELPS!

my shots at macro when using a point and shot camera...really hard to focus, no manual everything automatic....please take a PICK!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=37076&forum_id=7
:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:55 AM   #6

Those are nice shots. Some would be difficult to better witha DSLR and macro lens.

I don't have any suggestions on books I have several and all have something to offer. I do like John Hedgecoe's books.

Also I suggest a book about photography rather than about DSLRs. If the book references DSLR photography so much the better. What you really need is a book that will explain the relationships between shuuter speed and aperture, between aperture and depth of field, also the effects of diffeent focal length lenses on field of view and perspective. A book can provideinformation and guidance with a lotof examples. When you look in a book and seea shot you like and would like to produce something similar you can see how it was achieved what lenses and settings where used.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 2:32 PM   #7

YOUR A BIG HELP MAN.....its really hard to focus on PnS cams...u have to do it over and over to focus on your subject...

...thanks for the book advice also...i want to ask a suggestion to you...my eyes are on Nikon D70s and Canon 20D...which is better on high speed and nignt shot...Thanks Again Man...Hope 2 hear from you man...THANKS AGAIN!
Old Jun 7, 2005, 3:04 PM   #8

I'm a Nikon D70 user and before that I had a Nikon 35mm camera. My investment in Nikon lenses meant that I never looked at a Canon DSLR. I love my D70 and think it's a great camera. I usually shoot at ISO 200 and I've not had any real problems with noise in the few longer exposure shots I've taken.

The Canon D20 is nearly twice the price of the D70s so is probably a better camera but I've never seen any results from one to compare. For what I want the D70 will last me a while yet.

Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:17 PM   #9

...OK..I love Nikon too..they put the latest tech on the cam and sell it for a lower price than other brand that have the same capability...

...Nikon D70s is upgrade to D70 ryt...maybe i'll stick to it, since 20D is hevier...wat do u think about canon XT...the good bout it is it's smaller and lighter...

did u post pics here...can u show me alink so i can see it...or ur pics on any other site...

...Appreciate ur help MAn....Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:11 AM   #10

Cannon Rebel XT sounds like a good camera but I've not looked at one or seen any results so can't really comment. I don't like to say that one camera is better or worse than another unless I've actually used the camera or at least seen someone elses results first hand.

I've my own website here www.ksbyrne.f9.co.uk only the latest Red Sea pics are digital.