Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 8, 2005, 12:04 PM   #1

I am (or was, until I read a review) readey to order a D50 but I understand I can't use the onboard flash to activate an external slave flash. Does this even apply on manual? Boy, if so, this is a major thing for me as I use a diffusion panel and I have always wanted to avoid wires running all around.

How about if I put my SB-80 on the hot shoe? Will that activate my external slave as it does on both my D100 and Fuji S2 (at least on manual camera settings).

Any help here will really be appreciated.
jellis3520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 1:52 PM   #2
Administrator

What kind of slaves are you trying to trigger?

The new D50 does not have a "commander mode" option to let it's internal flash be used to trigger slaves like the SB800.

It does have a manual mode setting.

But, I don't know if this mode fires a preflash or not. Chances are, manual mode will work the same as in your D100.

You may also want to ask this question of Nikon.

If your slaves are designed to fire on the first flash, and the camera does use a preflash, you could have a problem. But, you can get slave triggers designed for digital that will ignore a preflash. So, this would be an option if the camera doesn't work as desired.

Here is a thread discussing some of the differences with this model you may want to look at, too. For example, if you are using Adobe ACR, it appears that it will not support the "as shot" White Balance information, since Nikon may decide toencrypt this information.

Adobe, so far, has taken the stance that they will not decrypt any encrypted data in Nikon .nef files (Nikon started this encryption practice with the new Nikon D2x and D2Hs models, and it appears that the new D50 will also use encrypted WB metadata, based on some reports I've seen).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:45 PM   #3

OK, well I am using a simple Vivitar 285 with a Wein peanut slave. It has no way to disregard a preflash. But I guess what you are saying is that on manual, the D50 does not put out a pre-flash anyway.

Now, one other concern about white balance I never thought about. Does Nikon's encryption mean I can't even shoot a reference photo with a WB card? I have been using a Whibal in one of my RAW pictures and correcting one, then applying the correction to all the ohters in the same set in Adobe ACR. Surely Nikon hasn't done anything to prevent that, have they?
jellis3520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:16 PM   #4
Administrator

jellis3520 wrote:
Quote:
OK, well I am using a simple Vivitar 285 with a Wein peanut slave. It has no way to disregard a preflash. But I guess what you are saying is that on manual, the D50 does not put out a pre-flash anyway.
I don't know if the D50 will use a preflash or not in manual mode. Chances are, it will work the same way as the D100 (but, I don't know that for sure).

If by chance it does use a preflash, Wein does make a version of the Peanut Slave Trigger designed for Digital. It's $34.95 at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...022&is=REG

Quote:
Now, one other concern about white balance I never thought about. Does Nikon's encryption mean I can't even shoot a reference photo with a WB card? I have been using a Whibal in one of my RAW pictures and correcting one, then applying the correction to all the ohters in the same set in Adobe ACR. Surely Nikon hasn't done anything to prevent that, have they?
Yes, they have done something to prevent ACR from being able to see the White Balance used by the camerawith two newer models (so far). If you are now correcting one photo using ACR (then using the same parametersor the rest), that could be awork around. But, ACR can't see the white balance settings from the camera if you set the camera's white balance to match the lighting.

This issue hasbeen in the news of many Digital Photography sites, as well as many other technology related sites (CNET, Slashdot, etc.).

Adobe has said it will not decrypt the information due to concerns of violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Some other vendors (for example Bibble Labs) have cracked the encryption, and are going to support the "as shot" White Balance from Nikon models that encrypt this information. David Coffin (theauthor of dcraw.c ) also cracked the encryption and published the source code. Some of the vendors that base their RAW Conversion utilities on David's source code (and many do) have also announced they will support encrypted files.

Thomas Knoll (Adobe) is aware of David's code, but is not going to decrypt the information over concerns of DMCA violation.

Now, Nikon is not the first to do this.

But, the encryption method used was fairly robust according to Eric Hyman (founder of Bibble Labs). It took Eric a while to crack it (if memory serves, he said he worked on for 3 weeks). Nikon sentthe key in plain text (with part of the camera serial number being used for key, too). But, they may make it harder next time around.

Of course, the Nikon plugin supports the "as shot" White Balance information. But, you'll need to buy Nikon Capture to get more functionality.

Many users don't care about the "as shot" white balance. But, users that want to set White Balance in advance for the lighting temperature (and use ACR in their workflow), are pretty unhappy about this issue. Right now, this is limited to D2X and D2HS owners. But, I've seen more than one report that the new D50 will also use encrypted White Balance information.

I also don't know if Adobe will support the D50 in ACR (even without the "as shot" white balance)with PSCS. ACR only supports the D2x if you upgrade to PSCS2 (and it does not support the "as shot" white balance -- it's using it's own auto white balance algorithms for this model).

Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:29 PM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

You may find this site to be of interest:

http://www.openraw.org/