Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2005, 2:51 PM   #1

Thinking about one of these two lenses for my D70. There is about a $150 price difference between these two lenses. Does anyone have an opinion if the ED is worth the extra $$$?

DigitalConvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:27 PM   #2

I read some reviews that there is not a huge quality difference between these 2 specific lenses and you basically pay for the ED glass on the one and a little better lens body, think the cheap one is just plastic.

I alsowanted to get one of these lenses but afterreading a lot of reviews and comments on this forum I decided togo with the Sigma 70-300mm APO Super II Micro. This lense is probably in the same price range as the Nikon ED version but it also have the Micro which is a plus. Of what Iread it, theSigma is a lot sharper thaneither of these Nikon lenses.

I am very happy with my Sigma, was nervious because a lot of people on this forumwould never buy a lens other than a Nikkor - which is great if you can afford it but for this particular lense, I think the Sigma is the better lens.

Check out this websites - they really have some good info on it.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300af.htm

Jaco

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the info....that website DID have some some interesting (and good) stuff relating to zoom lens purchases!
DigitalConvert is offline   Reply With Quote