Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:11 PM   #1

Has anyone tried a close up filter? I love macro work but my tamron 28-300 will only let me get so close,and for very small objects it isnt close enough. I dont want to get a macro lens because this lens is very versatile,except for extreme close up. Anyway raynox has one very cheap and Im curious about it but I first want some feedback from you all.

Thanks!

Laney
Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:11 AM   #2

I've used close up lenses in the past and they work well letting you focus much closer than the lens alone. They come in a range of strengths a +2 is probably strong enough for what you want but you can go for a +3 or a +4. You can also stack them to increase the strength of the magnification. However if you do stack them be aware that you might get vignetting particularly at the wide angle end of the zoom, I've even found this with a single close up lens in one case.

The other thing to bear in mind is that they also come in a range of qualities. Nikon, Hoyaand othersmake quality close up lensessome manufacturersless so. There is always the possibility of getting distortion or chromatic aberration when adding close up lenses and this is more likely with the cheaper lenses.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:10 PM   #3

Thanks so much,I really havent heard of anyone using them but for the price they piqued my curiosity,especially since I hate changing lenses,something I can snap or screw on is better.however I cannot find any nikon closeup filters which would be my first choice,can you point me in the right direction?

Laney
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:41 AM   #4

Laney,

Here are some Nikon and Hoya close up lenses from B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;Submit.y=9

You should also be able to find them at Adorama or Canoga Camera.

Bill
BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:24 AM   #5

Close up filters are great because they are very cost effective. You can buy them individually or in sets of 3. They have numbers on them (+1 and so on) which tell you how powerful they are. You can use one buy itself or use a group of them together (a +1 and a +2 together make a +3).

The problems with filters include extra glass (more distortion), the hassel of putting them on and taking them off, and needing to find the right combination (a +1 doesn't do it, try the +3 and so on).

If you buy one or a set, get good quality filters, and use your camera at the 300 setting to get close. If you buy only one, get a+3 or higherand use your zoom to give you a fair amount of change in magnification.

I love close up stuff, and because of my passion I have several ways to get close. My favourite teqhnique though is to use a good close up lens. Tamron makes a very nice 70 - 300 which gets very close (1:2 reproduction ratio). I like it because I can use regular flash even when close. Tamron also makes an amazing 90 mm macro lens that gives you 1:1 reproduciton ratio - very nice.

Start with the close up filter and work your way up. Have fun!

www.ericspix.com (look at my macro section)
ericsvendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:59 AM   #6

I love macro work,my 5700 did a great job but its so slow and I also like to photograph hummingbirds so i needed something faster for that. Now I have as well the the tamrom28-300 lens thats really awesome but Ive tried everything I know and I still cant get that close,it just wont focus. Perhaps its me,who knows. Anyway the thread is a 67mm,does nikon even make that size thread? Also,really what are the best filters for this?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Laney