Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1

Hope somebody can help, unfortunately a friend had a "play" with my camera and unknown to me changed the camera date. I therefore have a load of pictures taken dated 2007. These have then been put onto my software package photoloader which puts them in by date...of course this is now the wrong year.

Can anyone advise how I can correct the dates of the images so it stores them correctly ie change 2007 to 2005

I have corrected the camera, its the previous image filesI cant figure how to change

Thanks for your help
bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:21 PM   #2

Most digital cameras now use the EXIF format.EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format, and is a standard for storing interchange information in image files. There are a number of software available that can edit this EXIF data. I haven not used any myself. But if you search on the web for EXIF related software you should hit upon a number of software that will do this job.
sramaswamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:30 PM   #3
Administrator

Don't feel alone. I accidently set a camera to 2006 about a week ago. ;-)

I don't know what date your product is using for sorting images.It's probably looking at the Creation Date stored in the directory entry of the File Allocation Table.

The FAT (File Allocation Table) stores 3 different dates (Creation Date, Last Modified Date, Last Accessed Date).

Thereare also3 different date fieldsinside of the images (in the EXIF, a header in the image files that stores camera settings).

So, you're going to need to change multiple date fields to get it the way it would have been if the camera was set correctly.

I've seen some utilities that are designed to modify thedates used by the Operating System, but I'd have do some digging to find them. There are also some products designed to edit the EXIF, but I'd have to dig around for those, too.

If I decide to spend the time researching the utilitiesneeded to fix my own date problems, I'll let you know what I ended up using.

Perhaps others will respond with products they've used for this type of thing.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:37 PM   #4
Administrator

Here is a utility (but I haven't tried it). They have several different versions. The free version looks like it will modify the created date (which is probably what your software is using for sorting). It can also change the modified date and last accessed date.

http://www.attributemagic.com/attributemagic_free.html

The Pro version looks like it's smart enough to modify the metadata inside ofJPEG images (the dates contained in the EXIF), too, and it also has support for Batch Processing.

You'll see several different products (with varying features) here:

http://www.attributemagic.com

If you decide to try any of these, let us know how they work.

Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:07 AM   #5

Thankyou for replies, much appreciated...will let you know how I get on.

I am hoping that changing the date info will not have any effect on the subsequent image quality of the JPEG files ??
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:10 AM   #6
Administrator

I doubt it. I think these utilities are only updating the dates, and don't try to recompress the images. But, I haven't tried any of them yet.

Old Jun 18, 2005, 6:57 AM   #7

Yes well the attribute succesfully changed the dates on the JPEGs, very easy to use, but when I reloaded Photolader it changed the group file back to 2007 so it still remains in the wrong year !!! On checking the JPEGS now they still have kept the new changed date of 2005 !!! So do not understand it ??

Can anyone recomend the best, most popular album software programme to buy for keeping, filing images, prefrebaly with a date order system or any final suggestions on this problem

Many Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:04 PM   #8
Administrator

bench wrote:
Quote:
Yes well the attribute succesfully changed the dates on the JPEGs, very easy to use, but when I reloaded Photolader it changed the group file back to 2007 so it still remains in the wrong year !!! On checking the JPEGS now they still have kept the new changed date of 2005 !!! So do not understand it ??
Well, Photoloader could be sorting by one of the dates inside of the JPEG EXIF. If you used the free version of Atribute Magic, it's not changing these internal dates. It appears that the Pro version can change the internal dates.

Quote:
Can anyone recomend the best, most popular album software programme to buy for keeping, filing images, prefrebaly with a date order system or any final suggestions on this problem
IMatch is a popular package for cataloging images.

Imatch Product Information

But, so are a lot of others. Many users like ACDSee, BreezeBrowser, ThumbsPlus, etc.

Iname my directories with a date, so that helps me to keep them straight. Lately, I've been using Picasa to browse through them. But, Ihaven't tried to use it's organization and search features. You may want to give it a try since it's free.

Picasa Product Information

Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:15 PM   #9

once again many thanks for your time !