Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:46 PM   #1
DBB

I haven't found this mentioned in any reviews and I think it's important information.

When I got my D2x I posted here that the noise level was only marginally better than that of my D1x.

It turns out that the noise level is actually quite a bit better but depends on one crucial setting.

There is someting called "Color Mode." You have three choices:

1. Portrait (which I have still not tried
2. Landscape and Wildlife mode, which is what I do for a living and therefore set the camera to that mode and,
3. For those who intend to process the images.

It turns out that this mode, has quite a bit less noise than "Landscape Mode." Landscape mode seems to slightly "smear" the image, (the only word I can come up with) and this in turn seems to produce more noise. By slecting the "work on it yourself mode," (not an exact quote:lol I found that this smearing didn't occur, the images were sharper WITHOUT being noiser, if fact they were less noisy.

Just thought you might want to know! And I wonder why no one covers this impoortant aspect of the camera in their reviews.

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:06 PM   #2

Dave, do you mean the Adobe 1998 color mode (mode II)? As opposed to the sRGB I and III modes? I haven't noticed any dicernible difference between the modes except for the richer blues and greens from landscape mode (sRGB III).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 12:06 PM   #3
DBB

No, not at all.

Look in the index of your manual under color mode. This has nothing to do with SRGB or Adobe RGB. Nor was this an option in my D1x. There's very little information provided in the manual on this.

There are three "color modes."

1.Portrait
2. Process it yourself
3. Landscapes and Wildlife.

The manual says to select the one you use. Well, I shoot wildlife and picked that one. It resulted in a certain amount of noise and "smearing."

I now shoot in the do it yourself mode and things are quite a bit better in the noise department. I have not yet tried "Portrait mode."

In fact it involves LESS processing on my part because there is less noise.

I suspect this is an attempt by Nikon to make things easier for the amateur. It made my life worse...:lol:

"Process it yourself mode" is probably what I would consider normal mode.

There is no other informatiion in the manual for these options. But I think I will e-mail Nikon for more information. I'm surprised none of the reviews I've read have even mentioned this.

dave
Old Jun 25, 2005, 2:02 AM   #4

I found what you were talking about in page 70 of the manual. Those are variations of the color spaces, as it says in the manual, "subtly different palletes". Adobe 1998 has a wider gamut color space than sRGB. As a result colors will be "truer" when viewed in a color managed app, but will also look dull and gray in an app that doesn't recognize color spaces (usually only sRGB derivatives). Othe color modes will raise the saturation of certain hues, I don't know exactly how this works, but I believe each option in color modes offers a different way to render the colors, much like comparing neutral and highly saturated films.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:36 AM   #5
DBB

Well thanks to you I also re-read this; if you notice, there's nothing there about noise. I also note that to pick option 2, you must also be shooting from Adobe 98, which I do.

But whatever is printed there, there is a noticable drop in noise using mode 2 (with Adobe 98).

I'm going too give mode 1 a chance and see how that looks.

dave