Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:22 PM   #1

Ah well, after shooting weddings on a Blad for the last 15 years, I though that I would test the water with digital. As I didn't want to sell my soul just yet, I settled for the D70/18-70 combo, rather than jump in with both feet.

I will shoot with it along side my regular film shoots and then decide whether to move lock, stock and barrel! I think that the move is inevitable in any case though, but it does have its advantages... immediate evaluation of the shot... more casual photographs than is possible with my MF kit. Oh... and a lot lighter too! A CM500 + 50mm WA lens + Metz 45CL4 = hernia!

I will post a few attemptsafter my next outing. Incidentally, coming in at the back end of the D70's life got me a good deal. Bought for £675 less £100 cash-back, less £350 for my old CP5700 and some old bits on Ebay... D70 with lens kit = £225. Not bad!

Alistair
Alistairr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:41 PM   #2
Administrator

Just remember that digital is less forgiving than film, the D70's latitude is from about -1.75 to +1.0 EV. And they do tend to blow out whites so opt for an underexposure of the bride whenever possible. It is similar but different is all I can say. But most every pro wedding shooter I know uses digital now. The hardest part of the transition is for those film shooters that were used to just dropping the film off at a lab and never being involved with that end of the process. You now have to both shoot the pictures and correct the images/ print them unless you have a partner or pro lab that will do it for you.

It was easy for me to go from darkroom to "light"room image processing. I will never miss the smell of hypo fixer or bleachin the mornings ...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 2:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips Steve! D70 arrived today, and already my trusty old EOS1 has been ditched from the camera bag into the back of a cupboard!

I love this camera to bits already, and can't wait to get cracking on the learning curve. I did have a CP5700 used as a family camera, but to be honest I hated it. The menus were complex, it was difficult to master and that electronic viewfinder... yuk! I had an understanding that digital was gointo to be too much like hard work, but the D70's menus are a great deal different.

A DSLR is in a different league, but I am preaching to the converted, aren't I? As promised, I will post some early attempts.

Cheers

Alistair
Alistairr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 4:10 AM   #4

I'm not sure if you've done this already, but if you download and install the latest firmware (2.00), the menus are even better (easier to read at any rate).
SoapySuter is offline   Reply With Quote