Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2005, 8:13 PM   #1

Hi picked up the D50 yesterday. Didn't care for the kit lens though. So I got a used but very clean 9+ Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 with the body. Wow that lens is built like a tank. Anyway I will let you all know what I think of the camera in a few days. The 100 os so pics I have taken so aren't near enough to judge the camera. Although I have notice it tends to overexpose a bit.

:|
fastoys2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:44 AM   #2

Ok bin playing with it for 3 days. Love the camera. It dose seam to be over exposing just a touch and have been shooting outdoors with -1 comp. Otherwise pics have been great. Gone is the Nikon 28-85mm to heavy for a walk around lens and replaced it with a Sigma 28-200mm D lens. So far so good.

Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:01 PM   #3

I've had my D50 with the kit lens for 2 days and I am very impressed. I did a lot of pre-purchase comparisons with the D70, the D70s, and the Canon Rebel XT. I selected the D50 for its smaller size and lighter weight compared to the D70 and D70s, and it fit my hands better than the Canon. The menus are simple to navigate, the camera is every bit as light as I'd hoped it would be, and the kit lens does a great job. My initial tests show good sharpness and very little distortion except at 18mm, which is to be expected. Now I'm waiting for the 55-200 zoom telephoto lens to be available; with it I will have all I need for a few years! I'll be using this camera for home and travel shots and expect it to meet my needs just fine.

We all ought to buy stock in Nikon; they will sell a lot of these!

NikonHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:25 PM   #4

A "newbie" here, but have been in photography longer than I care (or will admit) to. I've been following the progression of NIKON D-SLR's. I got a D100 when it first came out. Still have that and, now, a D70 as well. BOTH of those platforms tend to over-expose, in my experience. Average lighting conditions, a - 0.3 is usually standard fare. In brighter conditions, I tend to bracket between - 0.7 and - 1 ... sometimes more. I also find that slight under-exposures can easily be compensated in Photoshop without any detrimental loss of image quality. Bottom-line, I'd recommend taking your camera out in varying lighting conditions ranging from nightime to full sun. Make "test exposures" while shooting non-critical subjects (i.e. - images you need/want to KEEP), and see what it does. You'll likely find a pattern emerging very quickly and in very short order, you'll be able to make snap decisions in the field and set your exposure compensation accordingly!
SammO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:12 AM   #5

I have done some more testing over the past couple of days and Have been shooting at -1 in bright sun. This seams to correct the exposure issue. I have also just bought a hoya cir pol filter and I think this will help also.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:51 AM   #6

Congrats on the new D50!

I am interesting in knowing what you think of the Sigma 28-200? Did you consider the 18-200 at all or the Tamron? Was the main problem with the 28-85 the weight?

fastoys2nv wrote:
Quote:
Ok bin playing with it for 3 days. Love the camera. It dose seam to be over exposing just a touch and have been shooting outdoors with -1 comp. Otherwise pics have been great. Gone is the Nikon 28-85mm to heavy for a walk around lens and replaced it with a Sigma 28-200mm D lens. So far so good.

Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:00 AM   #7

I didn't like the nikon kit lens with the D50 and i got the 28-200 used from the same deaer. its a bit of an all in one lens for me and maybe a comprimise but it seams to be working ok. Photos are good and its small for a tele zoom. PS I have upgraded to the D70s . Not that I didn't like the D50 its just the D70s gives me a little more control over ISO and the second wheel and a few other minor items.