Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2005, 11:27 PM   #1

Hmm, hey guys. I was wondering - i've never experienced this before, but suddenly all i'm getting is an error message on my D70. I've tried exchanging lenses, yet still the same. Can scroll through the pictures happily, but it won't focus, and definitely won't even THINK about taking a photograph.

When i look through the viewfinder there's just a wee "ERR" and the Flash sign blinking away at me.

Does anyone have any idea at all why this would be? I'm on the latest firmware (V 2.0 A+B) yet really don't see that as making the slightest bit of difference. I even connected up my SB800, as i thought the flash may be the problem... yet still nothing.

Please help, i need more photo food!

Thanks guys

Lome
lomedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:59 AM   #2

If the lens has an aperture ring it must be set to the smallest aperture. There's usually a switch to lock it in this position. The other reason I've seen for this error is if the lens isn't quite twisted far enough when fitting it to the camera.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:37 PM   #3

Thanks for your input, Nagasaki, but unfortunately i'd anticipated these already. The lens doesn't have an aperture ring (it's the somewhat spiffy 17-55mm 2.8 DX), and i still get the same problem when i change to another lens (the 10.5 2.8 fish).

Also tried twisting the lens back on... yet again to no avail.

Thanks though!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:28 PM   #4

Hi,

First try (I bet you already did) removing the battery for a while and replacing with a fresh one. If that doesn't work you might try pressing the "BKT" and Metering zone buttons at the same time (the ones with the green dots beside them) to do a reset. I think it will lose any special custom settings you have in the process. If that doesn't work the last reset is on the base, a tiny pin sized recessed button near the USB cable rubber door. If the CF card access light starts blinking...just send it in...you got the "GLOD"

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:24 PM   #5

ed - I'd tried the BKT & Matrix buttons before, to no avail. Also, i'd tried the pin at the bottom. And when i pressed it, the CF light DID blink.

So you think i should send it in to Nikon to get fixed? And what does "You got the GLOD" mean?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:27 PM   #6

Ah, ok, i googled it. "Green light of Doom". Right. So i should send it in.

The only problem is that i bought it in the UK (i'm a british citizen), but i've recently moved to Manhattan... and they can't verify the SN# over here. Looks like i'll have to send it all the way back to the UK.

This is such a headache :-?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 6:22 PM   #7

Hi,

If this the GLOD, sorry. You should have a blank top LCD and the CF card access light continuously blinks while power is on, those were my symptoms. I'm sure the good 'ol USPS can get it to them FAST and Nikon UK will do you right. Mine was repaired as "Complimentary Service" even though it was out of warranty. It was slowed down about a week while they waited for parts though. Overall it took 4 weeks to get it back. It now is working just fine and while it is unfortunate that this is happening to a lot of D70's, I feel Nikon has stepped up and is doing the right thing.

...Ed
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:19 PM   #8

Ed,

Actually, that's not what's happening. I do have all the details on the top LCD. I can even scroll through my photographs on the back LCD. The only problem is that the camera just won't take a shot. where it would normally give the shutter speed/aperture it just blinks "ERR" whenever i depress the s/release.

I'm starting to think maybe it's something to do with the autofocus mechanism... My lenses do seem to be ok (i threw them on another camera and they worked fine).

My lord, but i just can't do without a camera for a month. Looks like i'll be going in to buy a new D70s while i wait for this one to get fixed

Any idea about the "err" message though?

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:35 PM   #9

Hi,

This page has some interesting observations...

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00CYXd