Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 4, 2005, 6:41 AM   #1

This is one monumental camera and a big investment, so if any of you current users have found any useful shortcuts, or have any useful tips for usage, I would be very grateful to hear from you. The weight training is coming along well too!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:23 AM   #2
DBB

If you've never owned a digital SLR, than the only real tip I can give you is to start reading the manual from page one, and go thru the whole thing....:lol:

I'm serious!

I've owned mine for a month, and I've found no flaws as of yet. I also owned its predecessor the D1x.

As you proceed, feel free to post questions. There are some knowledgible people here - but reading the manual, absorbing the potential features is the big priority.

Nor is it a bad manual...

dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:12 AM   #3

One invaluable feature that I enjoy over any other digital camera out there is the instant zoom in at the press of the multi directional pad. Setup in the menu is as follows:* *Menu > f Controls > f1 Center button > Playback mode > Zoom on/off > Medium magnification.* *That way when you are reviewing an image, just press the center of the pad and you instantly zoom in to 100%. High magnification setting takes you past 100% and the image may look pixelated or blurred. That's one tip Hope you enjoy your new toy, I mean camera
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:29 PM   #4

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
This is one monumental camera and a big investment, so if any of you current users have found any useful shortcuts, or have any useful tips for usage, I would be very grateful to hear from you. The weight training is coming along well too!
This camera has significantly smaller pixels and as a result any movement while operating the shutter release can result in soft images. This has been a not-uncommon complaint. Many users, not aware of this have pronounced the D2X as having a focus problem. Try it yourself. Snap one off then take another after pausing and setting up the camera. I can attest to this because I met a fellow Navy retiree at Niagra Falls and took a picture of him and his wife; then he reciprocated.

Later that evening when I viewed them on my laptop screen I was shocked to fing my picture very soft but the one of me he took was razor sharp! You can't get sloppy.

Good luck and enjoy! Rich

Rich Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:16 AM   #5

Totally agree with Rich. The D2X will not tolerate any unsteadiness during shooting.

When I first got my D2X, I did a number of test shots and found most of them to be 'soft focus' It took a considerable amount of examining to realise it was not the focussing as some shots of the same subject were razor sharp.

It was my sloppy technique that was the culprit not the D2X and I had to re-examine my shooting technique. I've done this and I'm surprised how much the camera has improved since.....
astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:06 AM   #6

Could you be more specific about just which aspects of photo techniqueyou have had tp change?

I now have really bad backl having invested in the Nikon 200mm f2 lens: I can't imagine I could ever use that except on a tripod.
slioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7

Now it all makes sense. In a studio environment, with the D2X on a tripod, I get great results. I did a photo shoot this last weekend and was very disappointed in the "focus" of most of my shoots. I shot everything handheld this time though. I am pretty new to photography so any tips on technique would be greatly appreciated.
dboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:30 AM   #8

Sloppy technique maybe, but you now have me scratching my head. I use the camera for motor racing photography so a tripod is out of the question! There are times when I slow down the shutter to get background blur as I pan, others when I use 1/500th and more, but no matter what I still seem to have back focusing problems or vice versa. I'm using dynamic area centre weighted settings - am I doing wrong?
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:51 AM   #9
DBB

Let us examine the movement problem.

I take wildlife photographs. Often birds on the wing. I also noticed this problem. I have a VERY steady hand, yet my images often suffered from this. I took a look at my technique - I would move - I never noticed this before, but I would depress the shutter and move the camera - In this I am not referring to panning with the moving bird - I would simply move as a result of depressing the shutter.

I suspect we all have our own way of doing this. The D2x doesn't like it. :lol:

So, remembering "Zen and the art of Archery," I now "follow thorough." I no longer move with the shutter depression. I now have a much better technique, and the images are crystal clear.

I often shoot leaning on a monopode, I often shoot, camera, lens and monopode, hand held - I'm very pleased with the results.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote