Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:29 AM   #1

Hi, I am a new member to this forum. My D70 is used for astro imaging, using many lenses and telescopes. My primary telephoto is the Nikkor 180mm, f/2.8 ED. Lately, I've been experimenting with a Vixen A80SS refractor, 400mm, f/5. The D70 is mostly used for Deep Sky Imaging, but I have take some lunar images with it. For planets, moon, and sun, I mainly use a Nikon CP4500 digicam.

This photo shows the Vixen A80SS with D70 and Canon angle finder C. All mounted on a Vixen GP-DX mount, with SBIG STV used as an autoguider to the Skysensor 2000 controller.

The method of focusing used can be seen at this site:

http://www.barrie-tao.com/d70finder.html

Ciao...Barry
Attached Images

Rat8bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:40 AM   #2

This image was taken on 30 June 2005 from SE Michigan location. The region is in the NE section of the North American Nebula (NGC 7000). The image is NGC 6997. Photographed with Nikon D70 prime focus to Vixen 80SS telescope, IDAS LPS filter ISO 800, RAW, 2x90 sec, 2x2 min, 1x3min. ImagesPlus and Paint Shop Pro 9.01 processed. GP-DX tracking with STV autoguider.

Ciao...Barry
Attached Images

Rat8bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 6:26 PM   #3

Hi,

Cool setup! Nice deep sky image! Did you get any views of the deep impact of tempel1? I tried but couldn't even find it. I read it was somewhere near Spica during the impact. I also use a telescope with my D70 but, it is mostly for "birding". I use a Celestron C5 and I calculate I get a 1182mm f/6.3 lens using a focal reducer, 1875mm without it!

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote